Whidbey island [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Whidbey island

fishingjunkee
04-20-2004, 01:28 PM
I will be on whidbey island at the end of the month. What options do I have for steelhead. Paicularly where and is the run still on. Thanks in advance .Doug22

Leland Miyawaki
04-20-2004, 02:18 PM
It's hard to tell when the run is on in the salt but if you believe there are steelhead in the Snohomish system by June 1, then you gotta figure they're in the salt from April/May and on into the summer. I also think they are moving along the island when the rivers are in spate.

I would concentrate your efforts on the west side from Bush Pt. to Fort Casey. I, personally, would hang out at Bush during the flood.

Good luck,
Leland.

flytyer
04-20-2004, 06:26 PM
You could easily travel from Whidbey Island to the Skagit/Sauk (which close may 1st). It depends on where on Whidbey you will be. If you are going to be in the Oak Harbor area, Burlington is only 30 miles away on Hwy 20 and the fishing on the upper Skagit from the town of Concrete (it is right on Hwy 20, which is also the road that goes through Oak Harbor and Burlington) is 40 miles from Burlington.

The Sauk is a major tributary to the Skagit and it is 20 miles or so from Concrete.

To translate, this means that the Skagit/Sauk are closer to Oak Harbor on Whidbey Island than they are to Seattle and Bellevue.

Moonlight
04-21-2004, 12:52 AM
Happy Birthday to you. Hope you got outside for at least agood walk.