Material search [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Material search

flyjunky
04-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Good morning everyone...question here. I've been trying to find a website that has a good selection of steelhead tying material. I haven't been able to find one site that has all that I need. Where do you guys buy your materials? I'm looking for more of the hard to get stuff.. blue eared, jungle cock, alec jackson (heavy wire), silk and floss, bronze mallard, etc. Suggestions?

flytyer
04-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Contact the shops that advertise here on the FFF forums. Aaron (speybum) owner of River Run Anglers has bronze mallard, good quality Lagartun silk, Alec Jackson hooks, and some blue-eared pheasant. Kaufmann's, Red Shed fly Shop, and the Fly Fishing Shop (sponsors all) should have most (if not all) of the things you are looking for in stock too.

Jungle Cock is fairly easy to find these days and many shops carry it; however, it isn't cheap. Expect to pay in excess of $100.00 for a neck ($125.00 to $175.00 is the usual range). Blue-eared Pheasant is also expensive. Expect to pay between $135.00 and $250.00 for a blue-eared skin, and around $1.00/feather if you buy smaller quantities of 10 to 20 feathers.

Bronze mallard is easy to find, good silk floss is easy to find (Lagartun, Pearsal's, or Alec Jackson Premium Japanese Silk are the ones to look for), and Alec's hooks are readily available (although the heavy weight ones may not be a normally stocked item, virtually any shop that carries Alec's hooks will be glad to get them for you.).

Instead of using Blue-eared Pheasant, you should look into using the Whiting Spey Hackle necks. They have a great range of spey hackle sizes, are of excellent quality, looks at lot like Crown Pigeon (one of the materials recommened by the old masters as being superb for spey hackles), and is inexpensive. A Whiting Spey Hackle neck has a recommended retail price of either $20.00 for Bronze Grade or $30.00 for Silver Grade.

splitshot
05-11-2004, 04:13 AM
might as well support the people who promote and support flyfishing. i make an effort to buy from sponsors of flyfishing sites.