Fly Fishing Forum banner

First pike of the season!

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
I took the boat to one of my early season backwater spots on the Housatonic River and managed to catch my first pike of the season: a 28"er that fell for my yellow bunny strip fly. I caught that one while blind-casting on the shallow flat of a flooded oxbow. I also sight-casted to a slightly smaller pike that hit the same fly, but I pulled the fly out of its mouth on the hookset :rolleyes: .

Q

#2 ·
I went out for pike on Sunday, a scouting trip of sorts for the Clave next week. I lost a fly to one fish, missed the surface strike of another, and landed a three pound largemouth (so much for bass being wire-shy). The wind picked up substantially after a few hours, so I beat feet back to the launch and called it a short day.

In one spot I was marking huge quantities of fish in only five feet of water, downcurrent of an island point. Schoolies? Too windy to hold decent boat position, even with an anchor, so I never found out.

Pike clavers, the fish are there. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.