Flatwing Fly Information [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flatwing Fly Information

Gartooth
04-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Greetings,

I am hoping that you experts can point me toward some information on the flatwing fly. I fly fish the surf here in Texas, and the flatwing fly is nearly unheard of, but I have been using a drift method in the surf with other flies successfully. The flies I am using have baitfish profiles and undulate as they drift and tumble in the longshore current. We fish them by cast/mend, or by walking with the current. I understand the method is similar to that used with the flatwing.

I'm writing an article about drifting flies in the TX surf and would like to reference the flatwing and but know little about its history, use, styles, patterns, etc.... seen photos, and a few samples, but that's about it.

What makes a flatwing a flatwing? ...form, function, rods, lines...?
Are there a host of similar pattens with equivalent performance?

Any enlightenment you folks could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Casey

Doc Duprey
04-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Casey,

To avoid the the risk of upsetting some folks and possibly violating rules of the site, may I suggest that you drop me an e-mail. I would be happy nto provide some references that would be of help.

Best regards,

-Doc

Gartooth
04-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks.

Penguin
04-17-2004, 07:03 PM
DIPLOMATIC!!! :razz:

Doc Duprey
04-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Yeah...I'm pretty sensitive for a guy with no neck.

Fish are here, and on Mega-bunker, according to reliable report. Still tough to get, but things are improving day by day.I'm going after work tomorrow, I hope.

Best regards,

-Doc:D

Eddie
04-23-2004, 08:24 PM
look at striper moon dot com. lots of good stuff there with regards to flat wing technology and technique.