Big Brother Day 2004 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Big Brother Day 2004

juro
04-13-2004, 11:21 AM
Just had a conversation with Heather Coppock over at Big Brothers of Greater Boston re: this year's northeastern Big Brother Day.

BB has been awarded a grant by the brothers/survivors of victims of 911 to help fund this event and they would like to attend to meet us in person. They can't do Father's Day this year due to a road race they also participate in on Sunday June 20th.

Thus we are planning on doing it on Saturday 19th instead this year. The reason I chose Father's Day for this event originally is to honor my own dad, whom I lost years ago. I'm sure he would understand the adjustment, as it's still very much in honor of our fathers as well as the little brothers and those who care for them, big brothers.

We are considering an alternate venue in Nickerson State Park in order to increase the number of pairs (little/big) who can partake. This would allow us to use poppers for bluegills and small bass on the sandy shorelines, thus simplifying flyfishing for all with near-guaranteed results for the kids. Then we could have a barbeque at one of the excellent group picnic areas in the park.

I love the Refuge but each year they get many more requests than we can handle with the number of volunteers we manage and we are usually limited to 25 pairs.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this if you are volunteering, and also would like to get a headcount of men who can participate in this event Saturday before Father's Day June 19th ( proposed - subject to change).

Thanks in advance... let's make this the best year ever!

striblue
04-13-2004, 11:27 AM
One way or another....I am in!.... maybe I can start tying some trout flies for this:hehe:

jimS
04-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Juro, will plan on it and volunteer my two sons. How many big/little do you anticipate? The venue last year with the shuttle and the combination of the ocean and bayside was ideal.

Dimmd

Adrian
04-13-2004, 11:44 AM
Hey Juro, count me in of course!

One thought, If we're going freshwater, do we need to worry about licences?

Is there a "Free" fishing day in the Mass. calendar? - or maybe some way the State could help out?

Chris
04-13-2004, 12:40 PM
I beleive the free fishing is actually both the Friday and Saturday of Fathers Day weekend. That would work out really well. I won't be able to make this but would be more than happy to provide some pan- fish poppers and such.

John Desjardins
04-13-2004, 12:57 PM
I'll see what I can do about clearing the day with the boss.

The free fishing day is June 4 & 5. Maybe if we are nice to a certain curmudgeon he can work his magic on the bureacracy and tell us who to contact on the license issue.

juro
04-13-2004, 01:19 PM
I believe most of these kids will qualify for free fishing by virtue of their age, and we will not be fishing so it should be an easy persuasion on a state park.

Nick
04-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Juro,
I'm in for sure...its in the calendar.
Nick

DFix
04-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by John Desjardins
I'll see what I can do about clearing the day with the boss.

The free fishing day is June 4 & 5. Maybe if we are nice to a certain curmudgeon he can work his magic on the bureacracy and tell us who to contact on the license issue.

HI!

RICKY ROADRAGE HERE :D -

I BELIEVE I'M THE 'CERTAIN CURMUDGEON' IN THE AFOREMENTIONED QUOTE!:rolleyes:

I WILL CHECK THE INFORMATION HIGHWAY AND REPORT BACK TO THE POWERS THAT BE. I BELIEVE, IF THERE ARE ZERO ADULTS FISHING, THIS SHOULD NOT BE A PROBLEM!:smokin:

juro
04-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Well some of the kids might be just over the line. Thanks for checking.

Dave17
05-22-2004, 09:52 PM
Juro,

I just saw this thread for the first time. I would definitely like to volunteer for this event. Will you be posting more details as the date gets closer?

Dave

juro
05-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Thanks Dave!

Yes, I will be finalizing plans with Big Brother Assoc of Greater Boston in the next few days. We are tentatively planning for June 19th, a Saturday (day before Father's Day).

More to come...

juro
05-28-2004, 05:51 PM
To accomodate key attendants we will be moving the BB day out into July. I need to figure out what the best dates will be and will post accordingly.

It will be on South Beach as usual.

More to come

striblue
06-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Juro, be sure to hook up with Keith. Both the Admiral and keith asked me if it was still on and I told them ,this weekend, that I thought it would be at Nickerson....

juro
06-14-2004, 04:00 PM
OK - sorry about that, I dropped the ball for a few others I'm juggling.

BBDAY is ON - Monomoy, not Nickerson. July 17th most likely...

Can everyone make it Saturday July 17th for the kids?

striblue
06-14-2004, 04:03 PM
I will be there....

Adrian
06-14-2004, 05:36 PM
I am in !!!

Hawkeye
06-15-2004, 06:58 AM
I'm in.

Nick
06-15-2004, 07:19 AM
Unfortunately I have to go back to tentative due to this date. I'll see if I can get out of my prior commitment cause I really do love this event and hope to be able to make it. It is probably one of my top 5 days each year.

Nick

Adrian
06-20-2004, 11:40 PM
Damn! Thought I was free and clear but my wife had other plans. Sorry but I'm going to have to pass this year. :frown:

Dave17
07-07-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm in, is this the right thread to sign up on?