Orvis Rocky Mountain Large Arbor or Clearwater [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Orvis Rocky Mountain Large Arbor or Clearwater

04-13-2004, 05:13 AM
Hi everybody. This is Ruben from Spain.
I need a cheap backup reel for inshore saltwater use (sea bass, small bluefish...) and I want to choose between these two Orvis reels - the Rocky Mountain Large Arbor IV or the Clearwater IV, both for lines from #6 to #9.
They are reasonably priced now here in Spain (say 95 dollars for the RMLA and 32 for the Clearwater) so I was wondering which one would better suit my needs.
Thank you all.

04-13-2004, 08:56 AM
You're (to my knowledge) our first poster from Spain. (Almost every other country is now represented on the (truely) World Wide Flyfishing Board.

No answer to your question as I don't chase trout, but lots of folks here do. You should have your answer(s) in moments.

But again, welcome to 'our side of the Pond.'

Fred Evans
Ashland, Oregon

04-13-2004, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't use either the Rocky Mtn or Clearwater reel in saltwater. It's certain to corrode as it's meant for freshwater fishing.

05-04-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks a lot fredaevans and flysully.
I'm sorry I haven't been around for a long time. Just wanted to say I finally went through the cheapest way and got a Clearwater IV. I think salt corrosion won't be a problem, as I always clean and oil every piece of my equipment after use. I have been using a BFR Dragonfly Cartridge 395 in salt water for the last five years without any problem let's see if I can give the Clearwater a long life... :rolleyes:
Thanks again for you help. ;)