Shrinking pictures? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Shrinking pictures?

OC
04-12-2004, 04:16 PM
I had some pictures developed today and also put on a CD. Wanted to put a couple up on the site but they were too big. Is there a way that I can get them under 62000 bytes without taking an advanced microsoft course?

Thanks for any help
OC

fredaevans
04-12-2004, 04:30 PM
I've got a digital camera coming (Joan's on her 4th) and (even) she's not been able to figure this one out. Obviously by the number of photo's that get posted, it can't be 'rocket science.'

But another section (topic list) on this subject could be helpful to a lot of us now, and new posters in the future.
fae

kjackson
04-12-2004, 04:40 PM
There is a way, but you have to have the right software to do it. There--- I have enlightened all with the full extent of my knowledge of shrinking digital files.

I've tried it and been frustrated because I had to have a photo-editing software package, which I didn't... or at least I don't think I did. I may have been wrong on that score. Digital cameras usually come with a software program that lets you do some photo editing. My Mac has some of the same features... you just have to know how to find the bloody things.

As you might be able to tell, I'm trying to avoid real work... so I'll close by saying that advice on this subject would be very welcome!

Keith

FrenchCreek
04-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Here is my K.I.S.S. solution, no degree required!
Most photo editing SW will allow you to do the following:
Save your pic to a CD AND ask your photo store to reduce it to a file size not greater than 41K AND 600 X 500 pixels (or dots per inch).
Then you can attach it to your posts!

Brian Simonseth
04-12-2004, 07:53 PM
OC
Irfanview

Do a Google search to find it.
It works really good for down sizeing pic's

fredaevans
04-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Brian, is that a program or just a web site?

Bob Pauli
04-13-2004, 02:26 AM
Some CDs come with full resolution and low resolution versions of the same image. It may be worthwhile to check your CD. Next time use a processor that includes both resolutions.

If you use Mac OS X, iPhoto gives the user 4 resolution options prior to emailing.

MCorder
04-13-2004, 06:18 AM
In windows, double click on the image you want to post...
It should come up in "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer"...
On the bottom of the page click on the icon that looks like a picture with a pen sticking out of the side, 2nd from the right...
Goto "Image" (on top) then "Resize"...
In the box that comes up use the arrows to take the largest number down to below 1.5...
Save the image (use "save as" and change name so as not to loose origional)...
Post It!!!!
This is the size you'll see....
:D It seams like allot of steps but is really easy and fast.
Good luck!!!!!

IronMike
04-13-2004, 08:27 AM
I used to use Paint Shop Pro, which is a very nice and cheap program, but great bang for buck.

Now I use Photoshop, which isn't as cost effective, but man, what features.

XP provides some native tools that are very useful and FREE, what are you running for windows?

PS: If you email me the pick, I'll send you back a nice resized one.

Brian Simonseth
04-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Fred

Program
You can down load it.
Hit Image, Resize
I've been useing it for months for Watershed pic's

http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html

juro
04-13-2004, 12:50 PM
OC -

If you are a Window XP user, there are great resizing and slide show freebies at this location:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp

fredaevans
04-13-2004, 01:28 PM
not to see if I can get the bloody things to work.:hehe:

OC
04-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Juro,

No XP, we little folk at the office just have 98. I took the pics on regular film and had them put on a CD. Maybe there is a way and we have a new kid in the shop who is under 23. I'll see what he can do for me.

Thanks everyone for your imput.

Good luck Fred, you will figure it out.

John Desjardins
04-13-2004, 02:28 PM
OC, Try Brian's program. It's a reasonably easy to use program. And if you don't like it there are more programs to try at Tucows.

IronMike
04-13-2004, 02:30 PM
In '98 even Paint could resize I believe.

It's under Attributes, not obvious.

robkroon
04-13-2004, 03:35 PM
http://www.showyourphotos.com/

Click the photoresizer.
Very easy to use