Gold Rope [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Gold Rope

04-12-2004, 02:10 AM
Ok, I'm doing a fly swap. It's all pre 1965 NW based steelhead flies. I found an old fly pattern book that was published well before that. It has a fly from 1923 that calls for gold rope for the ribbing. At first I thought it may be oval tinsel. But there are patterns in the book that call for oval tinsel, flat tinsel, and embossed tinsel. So that kind of ruled all those out. Is this similar to the gudebrod braid you find on cards? Want to tie the pattern as close to it's origins as possible. I do have an old spool of material that looks like different gold tinsels braided around a silk core. Came from an old fly tyer that lived across the street from me growing up. Was part of his stuff that was given to me after he passed. Wondered if that would be it.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

04-12-2004, 09:19 AM
Send flytyer a pm. He will probably know.

04-12-2004, 02:08 PM

Tinsel "rope" is also known as "gold twist". Rope or twist is nothing more than three strands of fine oval tinsel twisted together to form a larger diameter ovoid tinsel that has more facets or side to catch light. It is very different than braided mylars like the Gudegrod braid.

The good news is that it is very easy to make yourself by twisting the three strands of fine oval together (add a little flexible glue to one of the strands before twisting them to help hold them together) after tying them in. Use one of the rubber insert jawed hackle pliers to do this.

The bad news is that pre-made twist is not easy to find today. It is made; it is just not easy to find.

I simply make my own when I need it.

04-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Hunter's Angling Supplies is one place that carries it. It is item number M080301 in their online catalog.

Ronn Lucas
04-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Terminology over the years tends to get muddled particularly where fly tying is concerned.

I expect the writer meant what is more commonly termed "twist". This is usually a three strand round tinsel. UNI has a silver tinsel called UNI-Twist. You can also find such tinsels in craft and sewing stores. Kreinik has some fine twists in silver and gold as well as other colors. I've also found other brands in such places.

Happy Trails!

04-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Actually, the stuff I have looks like the gudebrod stuff. But it is actually just as Ronn and flytyer described. It actually easily unspins unless you keep it in the slot on the spool. It's just simply twisted. So this must be the stuff I'm looking for. Now I can get those swap flies done.


05-11-2004, 03:06 AM
hello to t_rich, what does senior member mean? how did you do on the ronde this year? i did so-so until the cold hit and zero. sharp steelies flies will be in my arsenal, all i need is presentation and tight lines.