Post Masters Report [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Post Masters Report

Striper
04-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Well I couldn't leave the house until I watched Michelson win the Masters, he finally won a major now maybe the media will leave him alone. After he won I grabbed my stuff and drove down to the river about 6:45 pm. Nice night smooth as glass and no wind. First cast I had a fish on but lost it. Next cast another fish and landed it, about 22" and fiesty. I fished until 8:00 or so and totalled 19 fish, the biggest was as long as my leg and fat as a pig. I lost one pretty big fish that just would not turn on the light St.Croix, he kept digging for the bottom and I could not muscle him up to the surface. I did see him at the surface once but could not get a good read on how big but guessing from the water it moved it was in the mid-30's. Nice night and finally some catchable numbers of fish. I will be back down again soon to see if they are sticking around or just passing through.

Mike M.

striblue
04-12-2004, 02:08 AM
Mike, It was good to see him win and I was rooting for him all the way...Long over do for him but he started the 4th round like his old self which had me see the past again... funny thing, and I don't know if you noticed it, but he went around all 4 rounds with a big smile on his face. Maybe a little age and having some fun without killing himself , which you could always see on his face in the past ,pulled him though.

doogue
04-12-2004, 07:39 AM
Whoa, enough about golf!

It sounds like you had a great night of fishing Mike. Nice work!

juro
04-12-2004, 07:56 AM
That's the best news I've heard all year!

And oh yeah congrats to Phil too! :devil:

SageBoy
04-12-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the update Mike. Doesn't sound like it will be too much longer.

Tell me that ball didn't mess with his mind one last time before it dropped!! Go Phil.

Dble Haul
04-12-2004, 09:17 AM
..Mike, are you talking about the Housatonic? If so, you're the second reliable source I've heard of action there over the weekend.

Good to hear. ;)

striblue
04-12-2004, 10:58 AM
One post on Golf and I get slammed?:confused:

DFix
04-12-2004, 01:28 PM
That's alright, Striblue- I, TOO! (Hey, Mikie! This, from the brother of the semi-famous traveling golfingwhiskeysalesman???:tsk_tsk: )enjoyed watching him pull it together and stay composed enough to win the Green Jacket! :smokin:

Adrian- Thanks for the shot of Ether- Glad you had a nice outing!

jared
04-12-2004, 01:59 PM
Take it to the golf forum, would ya?!?!?!

:devil:

DFix
04-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Don't "hook" yourself, there, Bud, or you might "fade away":hehe: :hehe: :razz:
:smokin: :devil:

FishHawk
04-12-2004, 02:26 PM
I will caddie for D Fix and Striblue as long as its on the Cape near some fishing. I'll bet that we don't fish that long. :devil:

DFix
04-12-2004, 03:14 PM
FishHawk-

When's the last time you carried doubles for eighteen? - I'd bet we didn't fish for long, either! (oh, and what's the going rate for a tip for a GOOD! caddie, these days???):hehe: ;)

"...And what ball are you playing today, Sir?"; "...Titleist" :D

RayStachelek
04-12-2004, 04:09 PM
There was more drama....changing of momentum at the Master's this year, than a Striblue POST-a- rama. :hehe:

One of the best Masters I ever saw. That's excludes John of course. He's the Fly Master.

juro
04-12-2004, 04:34 PM
Ray -

You won a flybox at Wilmington, are you coming to the spring clave this year?

MarkDoogue
04-12-2004, 08:11 PM
Sometimes golf means navigating windmills and clown's mouths, but The Old Course has a particularly dastardly hazard to contend with.

The 18th hole is patrolled by a famous fly tying, rod flailing Yank from Chatham. "Who's that tramping over my bridge......!!":devil: :hehe: :D

Luckily I caught him during a spool change or he would have reeled me right in. Damn the drag on those Abel reels!

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3536760/1081281826438_swilcan2_striblue.jpg

doogue
04-12-2004, 09:29 PM
Ahhh John,

I hardly "slammed" you.

I was just commending Striper on "slamming" the stripers in CT.

I too watched the Masters and thought that Mickelson was awesome. But I would have traded that golf action for a fine multi-keeper day on the water.

No worries....

Mike

striblue
04-12-2004, 10:13 PM
Mike...I forgot to put in the winky after the confusion face..... Mark, thanks for guiding that day.... the beer was great and the little trout were still tough on the big rod.... Thanks for waiting for me at the car when that guy started to chase us off. :chuckle:

DFix
04-13-2004, 11:05 AM
On the next "Shell's Wonderful World of Golf"

"Striblue at Swilcan Burn":hehe:

Roop
04-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Wasn't there a VERY successful boat a few years ago that had a small astroturf driving tee on the bow??

Don't let them get to you John - plenty of room on my bow for you to swing a club!

Roop