Stripping Baskets [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Stripping Baskets

Gartooth
04-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Greetings,

I have a small Rubbermaid box full of 1/2 inch holes that I made several years ago to be used as a stripping basket. I never really got comfortable with the feel of it. It blocked the view of my feet at times, and I felt like I was stepping with blinders on.

I have seen mesh bags, strip-n-aids, boxes, and a host of other line tending tools. What are your thoughts on stripping baskets, types available, etc...? Is the plastic box strapped to your waist still about the best way to tend line?

Casey

juro
04-11-2004, 07:37 PM
Use clear plastic. I prefer a 15qt found in storage, not kitchen dept. They come with a plastic lid that I don't use. I am also working on clear plastic cones currently. Why? I almost killed myself on coastal rock cliffs on the North Shore of MA due to inability to see where I am stepping.

Most do not like holes. IMHO it's better to keep water out and drain by tipping as needed than to have water rush in freely that can not be kept out while wading.

Do a search on stripping baskets for a lot of discussion on the topic over the years.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/search.php

Gartooth
04-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks... will do.

Same here on the fall down factor. Had a near miss on barnacle encrusted jetties and tossed the basket in the truck. Never really tried it again since then.

Casey

Penguin
04-12-2004, 08:08 AM
An optically perfect, clear poly-acrylic tub with built in cones, and a belt that easily allows for swinging the tough/light, see-thru basket out of the way whilst walking and/or fighting a phish...:hehe:
The "optional" solar panels and rechargable battery pack will power the bank of LED's for night assaults... :rolleyes:
The Right Honourable Striblue will handle all patent and legal concerns...
(which may help keep this OFF the annual "useless gear" list) and... :tsk_tsk:
HammikerSchlammiker will market them for just under a grande...
I'll be nominated for the Nobel Peace [of Gear] Prize...and...
finally be able to buy that fly shop in the Keys...FFF 15% off :D

If I was in the market for a basket (my molded Orvis is still going strong...as is my home made custom Atlantis Line Tamer)...
I'd give the new LL Bean ($20) a try...Looks like a keepah...IMHO :whoa: