New Jersey? CT? RI? STRIPERS YET? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New Jersey? CT? RI? STRIPERS YET?

juro
04-10-2004, 09:27 AM
First of the early flowers are popping in the Boston area, a good month off from cherry blossoms but are there stripers happenin' down your way yet?

Herring are showing on both sides of the cape, scouts aren't far behind.

FishHawk
04-10-2004, 11:29 AM
There in Joisey. Checked out another board and small schoolies where caught!!! By the way as addition to the Flats logic the water temp was between 45 and 48 degrees. Temp in my humble opinion is one of the most overlooked factors. When it hits the mid forties the schoolies start to arrive. It's all connected with the bait ect.Also in the Fall when the temps fall below 50 degrees the fish start to leave. As in nature there are always exceptions. I am more aware of the temps this season we'll see how it goes. Just my observations. FishHawk.:D

juro
04-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Agreed!

Water temperature, oxygen levels, contaminants, predators, dozens of square miles of windmills - among with other environmental factors are definitely key considerations anglers can use to make their plans of attack to maximize the presence of fish and their mood as are tide, bait, time of day, time of year, etc.

Good to hear fish are in Joisey, are they migrants? Holdovers don't tell us much with respect to migration.

IronMike
04-10-2004, 11:50 AM
I'm aware of a keeper caught in Southern Jersey.

Not sure what exit.

tbuehrens
04-10-2004, 01:17 PM
how do you tell a holdover from a migrant?
-tom

Paxton
04-10-2004, 02:28 PM
Presense of sea lice on the migratory fish, I believe
Ron

tbuehrens
04-10-2004, 02:43 PM
why wouldn't holdovers have sealice...because they were up the rivers or something?

Adrian
04-10-2004, 05:04 PM
http://www.avsharp.com/schoolie.jpg

A fit, fiesty holdover from the lower CT river this morning.

Sorry about the smudge:rolleyes: - I've got to get used to this waterproof digicam case.

This was about average, I managed to boat 8 and drop another 3. Guys with gas and fin-ess bottom junk were killing them big time. Best drift I picked up 5 in five casts and they all pulled reeeeeeely good:smokin:

longrod
04-10-2004, 06:03 PM
It's not just lice that indicate a traveler.
The color is different because the fish have not been holding in the mud all winter. They are usually much brighter.

Dble Haul
04-10-2004, 09:00 PM
Another area in CT that's starting to get a bit active is the mouth of the Housatonic....schoolies are starting to show.

Adrian, nice work out there! That kind of action might make for an interesting fall back plan at the Pike Clave. :D

RayStachelek
04-10-2004, 09:41 PM
It's not just the sea lice that determines a fresh striper..... It's the New York accent too.

They loose it fast.

Adrian
04-10-2004, 10:39 PM
Capt. Ray, talking of the Bronx Bombers :devil: .... Jim Wesley reports action on the HUdson yesterday:smokin:

Mark, I was thinking the same thing - or maybe we get to "double-dip" :D at East Haddam ?

FishHawk
04-11-2004, 07:05 AM
Nice work Adrian. Let the games begin!!! I'm thinking around
May 1 for up here. FishHawk:D :devil:

steelheadmike
04-12-2004, 09:23 AM
It's been mediocre at best in the Hudson. I have had some OK days but nothing like it was last year. I'm not sure if they blew by us or they just havent shown in force yet.