How many flyrods do you own? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: How many flyrods do you own?

Dble Haul
10-15-2001, 01:00 PM
I've just been speaking with my wife, and she likes to tease me about the number of flyrods that I own. I keep assuring her that the number I have is far below that of many other anglers, but she just keeps jabbing away any how (all in good humor, of course). I tell her that it's like a set of golf clubs. Just as you wouldn't put with a driver, you wouldn't chase small stream brookies with an 11 weight. That explanation seems to make sense to her, and usually justifies the purchase of more gear. ;D Any way, here's my limited collection:

7' 3 wt
8.5' 5 wt
8' 6 wt
8' 8 wt
9' 9 wt
9.5' 11 wt

I could buy more, but I find that the gaps in my collection are usually covered pretty well. I also own a couple of reels for each rod loaded with different lines so that quick changes can be made, thus effectively doubling my arsenal.

So, what say all of you? How many do you own, and of those, how many get used fairly regularly? Sorry if this question has been brought up before, but my curiousity is getting the better of me. Thanks.

Mark

BTW, the highest number of flyrods owned by somebody that I know is 28. I remind my wife of that, too. :-)

juro
10-15-2001, 01:24 PM
This could be dangerous! There's no way to prevent unauthorized access by our wives to this information ;-)

Sprocket
10-15-2001, 02:01 PM
aside from the "learning curve" rods I own my work horses are:
9'-0" 5/6 wgt - 4pc. St. Croix Imperial
9'-0" 9 wgt - 3pc. Diamondback All American

Looking to upgrade the 9wgt to St. Croix Avid or L.L.Bean 4pc. pending demo...

Juro is right, dangerous topic - check security

Willie Gunn
10-15-2001, 02:16 PM
Well I cannot manage 28 but current collection. Starting at the top and working down.

18' Greys of Alnwick
16' 6" Bruce & Walker Hexagraph
16' B&W Double Spey
15' B&W Double Spey
15' B&W Powerlite
15' B&W Expert
14' B&W Expert
13' B&W Double Spey
13' Diawa
11' Thomas & Thomas
10' Sage

Plus others not in current use.
I have just realised I desperately need a 12' rod any suggestions.

DFix
10-15-2001, 03:48 PM
New, Old, in use or cherished antiques?

I think it's about ten - now I gotta go count, dammit :)

striblue
10-15-2001, 04:42 PM
Cane Rods..1)FE Thomas
2) Orvis Battenkill
3) Abie and Imbrie
4) Leonard
Others :5) Winston 3 wt
6) Orvis PM 4 wt
7) Sage 5 WT
8) Orvis Far and Fine 5 Wt
9) Loomis X something 6 wt
10) T & T vector 7 wt.
11) Scott Eclips 7 wt
12) Sage RPLXi 8 wt.
13) Orvis TR Mid flex 8 wt.
14) Sage SP Durascrim 9 wt
15) Winston BL-5 9 wt
16) Winston XTR 9 wt
17) Scott Eclips 10 wt
18) T & T Horizon 10 wt
19) Winston XTR 12 wt.
Reels to go with each one... Hardies(Perfect,Marquese,fly wt.) Orvis CFO's, Abels (5 of them - from Super 10 to 8n), Tibor, Islander, Two Pates, Penn international .. I need MORE though.

Domenic
10-15-2001, 06:49 PM
Mark Ruhne 7ft 4w cane
Fenwick 6w HMG
Loomis 6w IMX
6ft glass no name
Sage 3w RP
Sage RPL 9w
Sage RPL 8w
2-Sage RPL 6w
Sage RPLXI 9w
Sage XP 4w [The best flyrod that I have ever cast]
St Croix LU 9ft 5w
Sage 14ft 10 w Spey
I use the XP with a San Miguel 2 for 90%
of my trout fishing.For the Salt the RPLXI,and a Ross Saltwater 3.John I thought I was bad.
Domenic

Fred Evans
10-15-2001, 10:46 PM
Joan would probably not want me to answer this ... but can a guy really have too many?

7 spey rods, several one handers and two (real) float rods I run flys under when I'm doing a before/after work "quickie."

Life is good and no credit card balance. But then again, I probably drop a couple of grand a year on fly fishing. Better (or is that cheaper) than chaseing ladies.
:>)

And Juro's right .... there are questions best not asked if your wife can "monitor" the responces. Could get very, very ugly.
>=)))))'>

NrthFrk16
10-15-2001, 11:19 PM
Im not married as Im too young...and you guys are making me very weary of a ball and chain. :D :D

I dont have as many as alot of you but Im still young. That $10,000 in credit card debt has atleast afforded me some useful wants.

9' #6/7 St. Croix Imperial
9' #7 GLoomis GL3
9'6" #7 Sage XP
...you think I fish alot of #7's (BTW-Anyone intrested in trading a 796 XP for a 896 XP?)
9' #4 Sage SP

And if baitchucker rods count... :p
8'6" #8-17 GLoomis IMX
9'6" #4-8 GLoomis GL3
10'6" #10-20 GLoomis IM6
10'6" #4-8 AllStar Elite

Lookout Sage 9140-4...you're next!!...thats still a long ways away though. :(

juro
10-16-2001, 12:54 AM
Hey Ryan if we're counting bait rods, I have a Zebco 202 :p :p
}>

NrthFrk16
10-16-2001, 02:28 AM
juro (10-16-2001 01:54 a.m.):
}>

So is that what you used to drift your roe at Blue Creek years back??? :p :D

Sprocket
10-16-2001, 07:33 AM
Juro - put away the 202.
It's a deadly weapon but only in the hands of a 6 year old w/a snoopy bobber...

BTW - CON

John Desjardins
10-16-2001, 08:44 AM
Boy this could be a dangerous thread in the hands of a spouse. For fly rods I have, and this reflects my taste in cheap tackle:

6'6" 5 wt Eagle Claw spin/fly pack rod - not very good as a fly rod, but the best spinning rod I've ever used for dead drifting worms.
7' 4/5 wt - Pflueger Medalist used yesterday
8'6" 4 wt -Diamond Back All American, my most used rod.
8' 6 wt - Fenwick eagle series, the rod that started the addiction, hasn't left the tube in well over a year.
9' 6 wt - Cabelas stowaway 5 piece. A surprisingly good rod, used last week.
9' 8 wt - LL Bean unknown series, residing in its tube rigged with a clouser saying "get me to the ocean and fish me you fool".

I don't know if these count but I have 6'6" 3 wt & a 9" 10 wt blanks & components waiting to be built.

If you include the tackle from the darkside the total is somewhere between 20 & 30.

juro
10-16-2001, 08:45 AM
NrthFrk16 (10-16-2001 03:28 a.m.):
juro (10-16-2001 01:54 a.m.):
}>

So is that what you used to drift your roe at Blue Creek years back??? :p :D

Way back then you would have been the right age for the snoopy version }> ;p

mayflyman
10-16-2001, 09:56 AM
I own two...
An 9'3" Orvis Presentation Spring Creek 5-wt w/Battenkill 3/4 reel...
An 8'0" Orvis Silver Label 1-wt w/Large Arbor 1/2 reel...
I started out with a Fenwick 8'6" fiberglass rod 6-wt, that was 22 years ago...
mayflyman

FredA
10-16-2001, 10:59 AM
There are some sick puppies here. I gotta show this thread to my wife so she can see how in control I am.

5/6 Reddington RedFly with Orvis Clearwater reel
6/7 Cortland CL with Orvis Rocky Mountain Reel
9wgt Diamondback All American
10 wgt Reddington DFR
9/10 reddington AS and LA reels

Assorted Quantum, Diawa, Mitchell 300's and Zebco's from previous lives.

Fred A.

Hawkeye
10-16-2001, 11:04 AM
I've got 5.

6wt glass berkely - my first rod
7wt browning
10wt phlueger (sp?)
10wt sage DS2
4wt Cabela's

Tod D
10-16-2001, 11:26 AM
Fred - That's exactly what I tell my wife!

I've
Shakespeare fiberglass 9'4#
Pflueger Medalist 9'5#
Bean SPT 9'6#
Bean Guide 9'9#
Sage rplxi 9'9#

Have a real hankerin' for a #4, a #10 or #11, and a travel rod though... Ah, one can dream...

Fred Evans
10-16-2001, 03:00 PM
Ryan,
On the 'want list' of the 9140-4 Sage Spey .... be carefull. Spey rods are somewhat like "sex;" once you've tried it you'll never want to give it up. (Never could figure out how you get one of those grinning faces from above to attach).

Even with Spey's you'll find you'll carry a 6 or 7 wt single hander for close-in water work. One of the best for this I've run into is the Reddington 11'3" 6wt. (PS: At $159.00 a very good deal, on a very good rod) Loaded with a 7 wt DT it will cast a heavily wted flys a mile and spey casts very well even for a 1-hander.

With the top end of the Rogue running at 800 cfs several of us are now using 5wt's with good success. A hoot with a 5# fish in faster water. Hook up and hang on!
>=)))))))'>

bigcat988
10-16-2001, 06:02 PM
Boy, I wish one of you rod rich guys would donate a 9wt to little old me.

NrthFrk16
10-16-2001, 09:57 PM
Fred-
That is just what I am worried about because a 9140-4 tops my list my I wish I could get a hold of a 8140. But after the first Spey rod comes to hand, I know I will be after atleast a 8126 (sweeet stick) and a 7136. :D But a couple years down the road there will be even more rods on the market...it is just too overwhelming to think about.

gordonh
10-17-2001, 10:55 AM
Perhaps the emphasis should shift to how often you buy another rod as in:

"But dear, I haven't bought a new rod (I suggest using the term "rod", not "outfit") in two (?) years!".

Obviously it is ludicrous at this time of year to suggest that you "need" another 9wt, but by March you may be able to pull it off.
"You just can't catch a striper with less than 44 million modulus these days..." Obviously this can't be presented convincingly now, but by March ....

John Desjardins
10-17-2001, 11:43 AM
gordonh (10-17-2001 11:55 a.m.):
Perhaps the emphasis should shift to how often you buy another rod as in:

"But dear, I haven't bought a new rod (I suggest using the term "rod", not "outfit") in two (?) years!".

Obviously it is ludicrous at this time of year to suggest that you "need" another 9wt, but by March you may be able to pull it off.
"You just can't catch a striper with less than 44 million modulus these days..." Obviously this can't be presented convincingly now, but by March ....

My approach is to buy the components (a couple of smaller purchases from the fishing budget)and then tell my wife that I'm just "repairing" the rod.

Fred Evans
10-17-2001, 02:48 PM
NrthFrk16 (10-16-2001 10:57 p.m.):
Fred-
That is just what I am worried about because a 9140-4 tops my list my I wish I could get a hold of a 8140. But after the first Spey rod comes to hand, I know I will be after atleast a 8126 (sweeet stick) and a 7136. :D But a couple years down the road there will be even more rods on the market...it is just too overwhelming to think about.

Ryan, do you mean the Sage 8150-4? This is becoming a "cult" rod with the Spey Casters. Lord only knows why Sage stopped building this rod as the demand for them now has people searching fly shops in Canada and Europe via the internet. Haven't tryed the 9wt version of this rod but undersand it's also a very good rod.

But .... if you want to get into spey casting without dumping a ton of money (and yes, "my son" I dooooo mean a ton of money) the St. Croix rod at about $275 a pop is actually a very good rod (vs. $700-$800 for the Sage's/Burkhmrs, etc.,).

And to paraphrase: Don't ever remember hearing of a man on his death bed saying "Darn, I wish I'd never bought that fly rod." :>)

jborkowski
10-17-2001, 10:42 PM
I'm too much of a novice to have any more than one rod. While I can appreciate good equipment, at this stage in my SWFF learning curve, no fancy rod is going to make me a better fisherman. If the fundamentals of your golf swing aren't solid, a fancy graphite/titanium/bubble shaft driver is not going to make you become a better golfer or consistently hit better shots.

Time on the course and time on the water...now that's a different story.

But then again, I'm only a novice, so what the hell do I know.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
For those of you with wives who may be patrolling this board.
The following message is a Public Service Announcement:

In my academic opinion and based on my extensive research, there is a direct and very powerful corrolation between vast quantities of very high quality equipment and man's ability to effectively catch fish. Furthermore, to limit the accruence of such gear, whether by wife or thineself, is to act against man's natural tendency to hunt and gather, and as such, should be considered morally reprehensible and fundamentally wrong.

NrthFrk16
10-18-2001, 12:03 AM
Fred-
I did mean the 8150...its a rod that Sinktip fishes and all that I've heard is great things about it.

Ive considered the St. Croix's as Ive heard nothing but praises about the rod but I work in pro shop so pricing really doesnt matter.

I ordered my Spey reel today...Hardy of USA (Cortland) is discontinuing that Viscount Click in the larger sizes-9/10 and 10/11. I am getting a 10/11 and maybe even a 9/10. They are DIRT cheap...about $110 retail for a $200 reel.

striblue
10-18-2001, 08:44 AM
Look Guys.... the reality of the situation is that the more rods you have the discovery by your wife that another has entered into the home is negligible and virtually undetectable. If discovered you you never say.."It won't happen again", "it's not what you think", ", or ,more importantly " I work and I can spend some things on myself", or " I can't help it, it's a genetic thing". I start to Cry and that switches things around and I say "I need a hug".

Dble Haul
10-18-2001, 10:09 AM
How about it, Juro? Can you divulge the statistics of your collection, or could it earn you a spot in the doghouse? }>

Mark

juro
10-18-2001, 10:43 AM
Striblue has me beat by a three rods, but I intend to up the ante soon ;D

Hmm...
[#]4 are 9ft 9wt rods (3 used for loaners)[#]4 Spey rods from 7wt to 10wt[#]3 are 8wts, single and double handed[#]Four trout rods with low mileage[#]Nothing under 4wt... that needs to change[#]Nothing over 10wt... for the moment anyway

John Desjardins
10-18-2001, 10:49 AM
striblue (10-18-2001 09:44 a.m.):
Look Guys.... the reality of the situation is that the more rods you have the discovery by your wife that another has entered into the home is negligible and virtually undetectable.

I aggree, thats why the spinning rods I no longer use haven't been sold. }>

striblue
10-18-2001, 12:32 PM
OK Juro...by this spring.. I will add a 8wt Powell, and 11 weight Winston BL-5 and one New reel.. the Mark 4 Seamaster... Boy will I need hugs.

Fred Evans
10-18-2001, 01:30 PM
Ryan, working in a fly shop, etc., is like having the keys to the candy store. VERY good deal on a truly wonderful reel.

As Mr. Rogers says: "Will you be my friend?"
:>)

Fred Evans
10-18-2001, 01:40 PM
jborkowski (10-17-2001 11:42 p.m.):
I'm too much of a novice to have any more than one rod. While I can appreciate good equipment, at this stage in my SWFF learning curve, no fancy rod is going to make me a better fisherman. If the fundamentals of your golf swing aren't solid, a fancy graphite/titanium/bubble shaft driver is not going to make you become a better golfer or consistently hit better shots.

Time on the course and time on the water...now that's a different story.

But then again, I'm only a novice, so what the hell do I know.

For those of you with wives who may be patrolling this board.
The following message is a Public Service Announcement:

In my academic opinion and based on my extensive research, there is a direct and very powerful corrolation between vast quantities of very high quality equipment and man's ability to effectively catch fish. Furthermore, to limit the accruence of such gear, whether by wife or thineself, is to act against man's natural tendency to hunt and gather, and as such, should be considered morally reprehensible and fundamentally wrong.
==============================================

I may not know you, but the solid basis for your logic suggests a man of high moral fiber, clear eyed, head high, and (home number please!!!) one who could con even my Redhead wife.
Fred Evans

striblue
10-18-2001, 09:11 PM
Fred, remember if you are discovered or confronted with the new purchase you must never exhibit anger or excitement,but rather the emotion of "hurt". Body language is important and you should be sure you are sitting and not standing looking down at you wife.. Never cross your arms or place your hands on your hips... those are aggressive positions and sure give aways. While sitting place your hands limp by your sides or in your lap. Always, but always, make eye contact... looking away or eyes darting around as though your looking for a way out is fatal. Speak softly and tell her you understand... but try to make your eyes water... This should be practiced in the bathroom mirror... you must practice this to perfection since you will not have time or ability to turn this on when the event occurs. Remember.. it is you who have been hurt and you feel bad. You must at all costs avoid the old saying "oh, I have had it for a long time".. that never works and will not effectively deal with the current predicament. By the way, always use cash... Good luck

Eddie
10-18-2001, 09:49 PM
I always mention the guy at the casting pond who has seventy bammboo rods. Or the other guy with an assorted 50.
See, what you do is ...."Merry Christmas!/ happy birthday Honey!"..."this way you can fish the 9wt. and I'll fish the 8wt."..."I thought you'd like the Winston because it's so pretty."..."you are really going to love the Bahamas". It helps to use this tactic befor the Mrs. is fully conciouse. I have a very understanding wife.

October Caddis
10-19-2001, 03:09 PM
Boy some of you have really got the bug. But I don't blame you and many of you have very understanding wives. As for any novice with only one rod you might as well let your wife see these posts now so she can become aware of what the future holds. Better to get a divorce now than when you have 28 rods she gets half by law just for spite.

As for me I have remained single for 18 years because my need for nice toys was more important to me than a nice wife. Would have been good to have both but could never guarantee that would happen but always could guarantee the high quality of the toys.

I have been lucky that in years past Winston gave me lots of rods and I love them dearly, old Tom was a dear man. My rod selection starts at 5 wt and goes to a 12 wt Sage and I have 18 fly rods last time I counted what I could find. But due to other interests over the last 10 years like quivers of longboards,(surfing and a 32 foot sloop) I've only bought one rod in that time and that was a BL 5 8wt and boy that wasn't cheap. But I've never cast a better steelhead rod for big summer runs, soft action is beautiful. It is a shame that so many folks have gone way over board with super fast action rods.

As for conventional gear I have boxes of stuff from my Weymouth days striper fishing. Have so many wire jigging poles and I believe 50 some odd Pen jigmaster reels sitting in boxes. They were left to me when my uncle passed away and I can't part with them. Though when I lived in Hawaii I'd give a reel away once in awhile to a local for trevally fishing.

All these rods and other toys will make great inheritance gifts to my grandchildren because I sure don't have any money left to pass on to them.
OC

juro
10-19-2001, 05:23 PM
"All these rods and other toys will make great inheritance gifts to my grandchildren because I sure don't have any money left to pass on to them.
OC"

Yes, Steve - but your stories will be pure gold!

jborkowski
10-19-2001, 10:03 PM
October Caddis (10-19-2001 04:09 p.m.):
As for any novice with only one rod you might as well let your wife see these posts now so she can become aware of what the future holds.
OC

OC,

For Pete's sake don't go scaring me like that.

I am novice AND single...single...single. ;D

Roop
10-20-2001, 08:04 AM
Not enough - never enough!!

Um, just a piece of advice. In my house the 8 weight I gave my wife for Valentines day has been compared to Homer Simpson giving Marge the bowling ball with "Homer" engraved on it.

Of course, I now realize that this isn't the correct fly rod for her and will need to find the right one.

Maybe a Winston 8 weight for stripers on the flats...

DFix
10-22-2001, 02:08 PM
To Striblue and the venerable Fishing Ninja 8)

I failed to ask a question Friday night during this discussion: do the older Wright & McGill, St. Croix, etc., breakdown pack rods count in this discussion of what now seems to be "nah nah nah nah nah - I've got more toys than you do" :-D - if so I think I need to go home and get some kind of closer number than a supposed ten-ish as I said Friday night }>

DFix
10-22-2001, 02:16 PM
Roop (10-20-2001 09:04 a.m.):
Um, just a piece of advice. In my house the 8 weight I gave my wife for Valentines day has been compared to Homer Simpson giving Marge the bowling ball with "Homer" engraved on it.

Of course, I now realize that this isn't the correct fly rod for her and will need to find the right one.

Maybe a Winston 8 weight for stripers on the flats...

No G'D' wonder you can't get a "hall pass" - you were supposed to include correctly sized waders, vest, boonie hat, Maui's, etc. so she didn't suspect the "Homer" ploy - get it, Homer??? ;-)

DFix
10-22-2001, 02:17 PM
(duplicate message deleted :o )

striblue
10-22-2001, 02:34 PM
Dave, Now you should not talk about the toy thing... but then again It reminds me of a story and some incredible acumen in dealing with the subject matter of this thread.. Pretend you are visiting a small fly shop near Nauset beach one nice Saturday afternoon... You walk in... You see a customer speaking with the proprietor... he is looking at a Tying Vice... you try not to get noisy but you hear the customer say.... "hey... that's a real nice Vise.... I'll take it"... He then turns to you and says "It's not what you think... I am buying it for my wife." You pay no heed and smile and say "sure". You then hear the same customer say .." Boy... those are nice fishing hats... I will take that one... my wife will surly love it"... This time you make every effort to look away... but you can't... you realize that you are in the midst of a seasoned pro... a man to admire... the form... the technique. You waddle out the shop thinking it over in your mind... if only you could master the nonchalance, the sincerity... you too could be a master }>... Ah.... sorry Dave... I am rambling... anyway ..sure you can count the antique rods.

tomd
10-22-2001, 03:03 PM
1.) 7'6" 3wt sage LL
2.) 7'9" 3/4 st.croiux imperial
3.) 9' 5/6 wt custom on a cote's blank(4 pc)
4.) 8'6" 5/6 wt st.cr. imp
5.) 9' 5wt custom , on a loomis GL2 blank
6.) 8'6" 6wt custom , on a st.cr. blank
7.) 9'6" 7wt custom on an Loomis imx blank
8.) 9' 8wt cust on a sage rplx
9.) 9' 8wt redbone (3 pc)
10.) 9' 8/9 wt st. cr. imp
11.) 9' 9wt cust on a sage rplx (3 pc)
12.) 9' 9wt scott sts (3 pc)
13.) 9' 10wt redbone (3 pc)
14.) 9' 10wt cust on a loomis imx blank
15.) 15' 10/11wt LLBEAN spey rod
16.) 9' 12wt cust on a sage rplx
reels
for fresh 2 orvis rocky mt 2
and another I can't think of
2 cortland Ltd 100 for heavy fresh, light salt
1 lamson dca4
2 lamson lp 3.5
1 lamson litespeed 4

damn, this is scary... Tom D

striblue
10-22-2001, 03:12 PM
Yes Tom... very scary... don't forget to tell about all the tying vises.... 6 I think by last count.... That is before you sold a couple... Fess up.

DFix
10-22-2001, 03:27 PM
striblue (10-22-2001 04:12 p.m.):
Yes Tom... very scary... don't forget to tell about all the tying vises.... 6 I think by last count.... That is before you sold a couple... Fess up.

This, from the Twenty-Ninth Degree Worshipful Master of the GearHeads :D :D :D (see previous responses this thread :o )

October Caddis
10-23-2001, 01:25 PM
jborkowski & Roop,

I can only relate what my ex wife said to the judge at the divorce hearing. " He only ever bought me wadders and fly fishing stuff for my birthday or Christmas even our wedding anniversary. All I ever really ever wanted was a necklace or some roses". The judge was female, case closed!
So buy her a fly rod but get her a nice pearl necklace too. It may break you money wise but ya can't take it with ya and you got a woman that loves ya because you thought of her romantically and as a very best friend that you love to have with ya on fishing trips.
So get her plenty of roses and don't be affraid to add to your and her collection of fly rods. DARE YA!
ALSO Roop, You are a hell of a awsome guy to buy your wife something Winston green. Hope you have educated her on what a wonderful gift it is and that you have taught her well on casting such a gift.

Juro,
You are right about the stories. There is nothing better and more important than a grandfather/grandchild relationship when it comes to the outdoors. Stories from a grandfather are so meaningful and always have an open end message about life for a grandchild to think about. Grandkids usually become more like grandparents when they grow up than thier parents. Stories they will get!
OC

October Caddis
10-23-2001, 02:26 PM
jborkowski, Roop & all fly fishermen!

The emotional quote from my ex wife at the divorce hearing some 18 years ago to the judge. " He only buys me waders and fly fishing stuff for my birthday, Christmas and even our anniversary and all I wanted was a necklace or some roses!"
JUDGE FEMALE, CASE CLOSED. She even got the ranch with that oratory.
So guys buy her a new fly rod, for that matter buy your self one but get her a pearl necklace too! You may go to the poor house but your wife or girlfriend will love ya because you bought her something romantic and you also bought her something to show she is your best friend and you want her to be with you on all those special days we fly fishermen crave.
Roop, You got to be some guy to buy your wife the Winston green. Hope you have educated her on why they cost so much and why they are so special. Also hope you have taught her that casting it correctly is pure beauty just like the necklace and roses you are getting her are objects of beauty.
So guys buy on! But find your other side and always cover all the bases.
OC

October Caddis
10-23-2001, 03:21 PM
Sorry about the two post almost the same thought my 1st one got lost being sent.
Off to Montana & Wyoming on a job for a week will bring one of 18 rods, Winston 6 WT that I fish with a 5WT double tapper floating line. This line has been heat dyed and cast so well. Oh ya will meet up with my ex wife on this trip we will go fishing if weather permits. I wonder which former fly rod of mine she will fish with. Really!
OC

wig
10-31-2001, 01:06 AM
about a dozen, all built from blanks except the speys. All get used, as I fish everything from small streams to broad rivers to the salt to steelhead.

NrthFrk16
10-31-2001, 01:31 AM
The give flyrod to wife as gift discussion brings up a hilarious sale I had at work over the weekend.

A good customer of ours came in and was in need of a rod to give to his wife. See he is going through a nasty divorce and she is determined to get her share. Well a couple of years ago he bought her a St. Croix Imperial.

Well in the whole you get this, I get this, I'm taking you to court if I dont get this discussions, she was determined to get the Imperial he gave her for Christmas a couple years ago-eventhough she never fished it.

He liked the rod and did not want to give it up. Well all that she could remember was that it came in a brown cordura case.

So we dug up a old St. Croix case and peeled the St. Croix patch off and sold that to him. The rod did not matter as she could not remember what brand the rod was. We ran downstairs and dug up a $15 Berkley so and so foam handled fiberglass 15 y.o old rod and gave that to him to stick it in the case and pass it off as the rod that was given to her as a gift a couple years back.

He hasnt been back, so as far as I know, it worked.

juro
10-31-2001, 09:01 AM
HILLARIOUS! That's a classic Ryan!

Adrian
11-03-2001, 12:46 AM
Wow - what a thread !!!

Here's my modest list - I can see I'll have to start rod building this winter ;)

15' #11 double spey (custom)
12' #9 double spey ( " " )
12' #6 Fred Buller Drifter (Hardys of Pall Mall single handed)
9' 6 #7 Orvis Hampshire
10' #7 Loomis (hmmm nice rod for bones ?)
8' 6 #4 St Croix

9' #9 (Built on St. Croix blank)
Orvis Trident 9' #9
Loomis GLX 9' #9
Loomis GL3 9' #9
Loomis IMX 9' #12
Loomis GL3 Mega 8' 6 #12/13
Loomis GL3 Mega 8' 6 #14

mitch
11-04-2001, 05:33 PM
I've owned about a dozen (up-grading), but here's what is left. All 4-piece.
#8 GL3
#8 GLX
#10 GLX
Let's not go into reels, vises, or other gear that I've spent way too much on. Still looking for a good #4, and a 5 or 6 piece #8.

flyfisha1
02-28-2003, 03:00 PM
... of the poll I posted, I looked into this thread as was suggested and had a blast reading the answers from nearly 18 months ago. Any of you that had contributed to this thread and are still on the forum, how do your numbers compare now? ;)

DFix
02-28-2003, 03:42 PM
As this thread continues, thanks to the efforts of the good and erstwhile DbleHaul, I would like to direct your attentions to the thread which caused this debate to be resurrected.

It seems the Right Honorable Twenty-Ninth Degree Worshipful master of the Gearheads is about to undertake a campaign against my stellar and unblemished character.

I shall prevail.

Tony Petrella
02-28-2003, 08:51 PM
OK boys, I like it when ya' owe me!!!

If you want absolution from your spouse and/or significant other about the number of fly rods you own (or want), then lay this one on them:

Capt. Tony Petrella owns 72 rods and 76 (somehow I got screwed up here???) reels. No, don't ask for my street address--the sign reads: "Protected by Smith & Wesson" and we're not kidding!!!

The best part is that my wife is a brookie-haulic so it makes life really beautiful!

Anyway, haul this out when you get grief about wanting "just one more rod, darlin'!!!"

CapT

flyfisha1
02-28-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Tony Petrella
...Capt. Tony Petrella owns 72 rods and 76 (somehow I got screwed up here???) reels... CapT

Holy $#)%! Now I've heard it all!

Tony Petrella
02-28-2003, 09:01 PM
OK boys, I like it when ya' owe me!!!

If you want absolution from your spouse and/or significant other about the number of fly rods you own (or want), then lay this one on them:

Capt. Tony Petrella owns 72 rods and 76 (somehow I got screwed up here???) reels. No, don't ask for my street address--the sign reads: "Protected by Smith & Wesson" and we're not kidding!!!

The best part is that my wife is a brookie-haulic so it makes life really beautiful!

Anyway, haul this out when you get grief about wanting "just one more rod, darlin'!!!"

CapT

striblue
02-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks Tony...I am definitly off the hook now!!!!!

fishheadfred
02-28-2003, 11:31 PM
the only fly rod i own is a 8 ' 6" 8wt rod that my grandfather bought as a kit in a general store in Oklahoma in the forties......still slings the string like a dream.....heavy as friggin' oak tree, though!!!!

Tony Petrella
03-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Sorry, Flyfisha1--no Big Guys around these parts till the end of April, first of May.

CapT

pmflyfisher
03-01-2003, 07:33 AM
A perfect "10" but I am looking hard at # 11.

PM Out

BobK
03-01-2003, 10:51 AM
Hal - I believe the accountant will have a little to say about that - if you are still residing in the same household!

One way to justify it is it probably will cost as much as the huskies! Mush! (The original word was "marche!"

Or maybe you will be "sharing quarters" with them???? :hehe:

BobK

pmflyfisher
03-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Bob,

Here is the latest picture of the siberians. Blaze and Shane.

There is some fine fly tying materials on these fellows.

Plus they are not afraid of scissors ! :chuckle:

The accountant wife is very controlling but remember I am also a CPA and MBA finance guy. Financial engineering to get what I need happens eventually.

Just got back from the fly shop, got to start tying some of more secret nymph patterns. Owner showed me some new stuff to try.

PM Out

BobK
03-01-2003, 01:06 PM
Hal, in order to get the new rod, you have to learn some tricks so that she will BEG you to get it.

My really nice brand new wading Broghans (shoes) are a good example - you know, the very expensive ones with Aqua-Stealth studded soles for winter steelheading. I really wanted to get these - What I did was go fishing, come home early, and full of disappointment, and said with a straight face, "Well, I guess I can't do THAT anymore. I about killed myself and almost threw out my back with these old wading shoes. They are so slick now, I didn't know whether I was skiing, ice skating, or what. I almost fell four times."

Worked like a charm!

For a rod? Well, you might consider coming home, and complain that you just broke your favorite rod and really act heartbroken, and complain that they don't build that one any more. Even be down in the dumps for a few days and mope around the house. At this point, she will be very sympathetic, and suggest you look for a new one. DON'T JUMP TOO FAST! Just say, sadly, with a straight face, I don't know if I can ever replace it. But maybe I'll shop around for a new one, if I can find one I like nearly as well as the old one.

Depending on how much she knows about fishing, you may have to even produce a broken rod. For that, depending on her knowledge of the sport, you cut down an old, cheap spinning rod so it resembles a section of a fly rod, and just snap it in half.

Anyway, that technique works well virtually every time, IF you haven't shot off your mouth about wanting a new rod. You've got to be discreet. Rule 2 is to go through the motions of a detailed search for a few days before "selecting" just the right rod.

Women are gullible - you just have to play on their sympathy. Use the indirect approach, and it works every time.

BobK:tsk_tsk:

pmflyfisher
03-01-2003, 01:42 PM
Sounds like a good plan, but what do I say when she asks about the other 9 rods in the closet ?:confused:

PM Out

Tony Petrella
03-01-2003, 03:16 PM
Tell her they belong to Tony Petrella!

pmflyfisher
03-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Tony

If you need more fly fishing friends put me on the list.

:D

PM Out

BobK
03-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Hal - the rules of the game:

1. NEVER, ever let a spouse know how many rods you have. That would be a FATAL error. As dumb as telling her how many shotguns you have.

2. Besides, after 4 rods, they normally don't keep count.

3. You can always empty and hide the rods. To explain the cases, and say "Oh, those are just empty rod cases." or:

3a. you can use the excuse, "Oh, those are just old rods from my youth that I hang on to for sentimental reasons. They were my Dad's (or a special relative). or:

3b. Oh, those are spinning and casting rods that I had as a kid. I used to fish for (..........) -You fill in the blank with all sorts of fresh and saltwater species.

4. Another fall back is golf. Just tell her that "Tiger Woods couldn't win with just a driver."

And remember - "Yeah, but that was my Spey rod. I can't get along without a Spey rod. Maybe I'll just quit fishing." Do you realize what a strain that would be? All spouses are glad to have us out from underfoot and not messing up the house! Make it a habit to either be messy, spill just enough coffee to leave a ring on the table, or keep talking to her when she is busy, etc. These work WONDERS! (So does insisting on sex every quiet moment!)

There are LOTS of ways to get new gear. Just use your imagination!

See- it's EASY!:devil:

BobK

MarkDoogue
03-01-2003, 05:24 PM
I have one.

So many other toys.......so little time.:hehe:

Tony Petrella
03-01-2003, 06:04 PM
PMFLYFISHER--Hey, I'm always happy to have a new fishing and bird hunting pal! That means there are more places to go, things to see and techniques to learn.

And, in anticipation of your next question--no. I do not own nearly as many shotguns as I do fly rods. My Beretta 686 20ga suits me just fine. And it makes Ghost smile--usually--because we knock down our share of birds.

CapT

pmflyfisher
03-01-2003, 06:34 PM
Tony

Have any Perazzi's ? A retired friend of ours has like 7 of them who is big into big game hunting, trap, skeet, target, etc...

Now thats an expensive hobby !!

PM Out

removed_by_request
03-01-2003, 11:08 PM
Those items are an investment, if you worry about spending the $$$ you don't deserve earning it.

Tony Petrella
03-02-2003, 06:11 AM
Yeah, a guy once told me : "Excessive bank accounts belong to people who obviously think they're going to live forever--but don't really know HOW to live."

Money buys neat stuff. Neat stuff is what's fun. I wanna see a picture of Ben Franklin, I'll look in the encyclopedia!

CapT

BobK
03-02-2003, 06:35 AM
Since retiring, I've been writing magazine articles for a shooting magazine. One of the "perks" is that I get my firearms from the factories for evaluations. If I wish to keep the gun, I get it for an extremely low price (with a guarantee that I wont resell it.) I also get ammo and supplies for evaluation (for articles) free or at a VERY low price. And payment for the articles "keeps me in beer and cigarettes", among other things.

I don't talk about my collections of stuff much - in today's society, that only gives tips to thieves and undesireables. Never have NRA, TU, or "This vehicle protected by S&W" stickers on your car - the thieves then KNOW what may be inside for the taking!

I think maybe I should start writing articles for fly fishing magazines - but that MIGHT cut into my "recreational time"!
(You have to keep these things in perspective, you know!)

BobK

steeliesonafly
03-07-2003, 11:53 PM
14 in a hindes 57 selection. Actually had to use some last year that I haven't had to use before. I broke 7 rods and had to wait for the replacement on them so had to go to some of the older rods.....

flytyer
03-08-2003, 10:46 PM
I have 7 (three 2-hamders, four single-handers), my wife has 2 single handers, my 15 year old has 2 (a single hander and a 2-hander), and my 11 year old has 2 (both single-handers). To be fair, one of my 15 year old's was mine until I gave it to him 5 years ago because I wasn't using it, and one of my 11 year old's was mine until he conned me out of it because he needed a "steelhead rod".