Penn International Fly Reels-- thoughts? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Penn International Fly Reels-- thoughts?

brooklynangler
04-01-2004, 11:46 PM
There are some good deals to be had on ebay and elsewhere on Penn fly reels.

I'm thinking about getting the 4.5AR.

Any thoughts on these reels?

They look tough and are nice priced.

Nice and heavy, too!

Best-

brooklynangler

flytyer
04-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Tough, very strong, excellent drag, and high line'backing capacity. All very desirable in a reel for big spey or salt water lines. The extra weight is also nice fo use on 16' and longer rods to help keep them from being tip heavy.

josko
04-03-2004, 06:35 AM
I have a penn 4 and it's all the reel one could ever want for offshore flyfishing. Superb drag, takes 600 yds of 50# backing, tough as nails. I would pick the A/R if given a choice, simply because I've been whacked by the spinning handle.
I also have a Pate Bluefin and feel it doesn't provide any advantage over the Penn 4, at least for tuna and billfishing.
Mine is used on 14 and 15 wt rods. It's a bit too heavy on my Horizon 12 wt, especially when blind casting for long periods.

Eddie
04-07-2004, 07:46 PM
I have heard that they are considered the ultimate mooching reel in the PNW.
They are bomb proof and have a great drag, but I would rather have a large arbor reel. But if the price is right...I suspect that you couldn't do better for the money.

loophitech
04-08-2004, 10:21 PM
I like them and the added weight, IMHO, makes for easier casting for me. And you can't go wrong with a drag can stop a freight train. A++ for the Penn Reels.

LoopHiTech

wind roper
01-23-2005, 11:23 AM
i baught the penn 4G/AR and it is an awesome reel! it is on a penn international 12wt and it casts like a dream. i fish for tarpon and BIG snook and you can put the breaks to them with it's drag. it almost feels unfair ince you stert to reel, it feels like you have the cable to an eletric wench going through the rod. i also have the penn 2.5G on a international 8wt. man i love those combos! just baught the orvis vortex AR but haven used it yet (deployed over seas) any one have any experiance with the vortex??????