Bobbing for french-fries... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Bobbing for french-fries...

Penguin
03-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Sunblock is for sissies! :rolleyes:
...that being said...
After several weeks of Efudex kemo cream applications to my mug, I look like a Chernoble nuclear reactor cleanup technician...or someone who stuck his face into the NASA anti-matter particle generator to get a better look!!! :eyecrazy:

So...here's the deal...I've fallen on my sword (more like my face, or what's left of it) and I'm asking for some opinions...I'll be fishing more as a troglodyte...and wearing a protective hat/shirt/etc when I'm out in the sun but...
What's the best/most effective/cosmic SUNSCREEN?! :confused:

I am now accepting suggestions! :D

Smcdermott
03-29-2004, 04:17 PM
Being a fair skinned lad I have found it to work wonders. One application in the morning has been working for me. I also wear sun gloves and sometimes long pants. If I am wearing shorts I do need to reapply to the legs every 4 hours or so.

Sean

kjackson
03-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Been there with the luminescent face and will likely have to go back to do the tops of the ears-- again. Love it.

The best thing you can do if throw away your ball caps and get a big, full-brim hat. Then get the tropic weight, long-sleeve shirts, long pants and socks. They do more for sun protection than block-- besides, I've disccovered that I stay and feel much cooler when I'm fully covered.

After you do this, apply the sunblock, then you can feel pretty good about your protection.

This year, I'm thinking I may have to go the sun-glove route as well.

Can't be too careful about skin cancer...

Keith

rooster
03-29-2004, 04:59 PM
Penguin,
Try Bullfrog, I think it uses super glue for a spreader but it doesn't wash off and sweat doesn't make it run into my eyes and sting.
I used it for years when I lived in HI.
Aloha,
DK:smokin:

juro
03-29-2004, 06:22 PM
I use nutrogena spf 50 oil-free because it prevents me from getting ZITS at my age.

It's not quite as smear-proof as other brands though. I do not apply any over my eyebrows and forehead because that area is protected by my long brim flats hat. I do however apply it to the cheeks, jaw and neck and get fairly close to the orbitals because I don't like the reverse racoon tan to have a sharp contrast :hehe:

The only time it gets into my eyes is when I rub my gooped up face with my hand and then rub my eye in a sequence. It's not excruciating but it is annoying. Or maybe it's the sunblock I've plastered on my hands, which burn like crazy on the flats unless I cover them. I have since learned not to rub my eyes with my hands.

Penguin, don't you have a wrap-around turban from your days in Desert Storm? ;)

kjackson
03-29-2004, 06:30 PM
Juro-- Here's a warning: a buddy of mine who is a bass tournament pro had the same thoughts about protection from a hat brim, so he didn't use sunblock there because he always wore a hat as part of his sponsorship deal.

Guess where the skin cancers showed up? On his forehead. His advice to me is to grease everything and cover up. That was the year I got the warning (and had to do a chemical face peel) from my doctor. There are mitigating factors: he lives in Kentucky, fishes all over the South, is blue eyed and fair skinned, and fishes like most of us wish we could, so he was especially susceptible.

But still...

Here I am, packing for a trout trip on the east side of Washington state in APRIL for goshsakes, and I'm putting in the SPF 30 and big floppy hat.

Keith

Penguin
03-29-2004, 08:13 PM
Orvis of Monomoy...

juro
03-29-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the warning Keith! I will keep that in mind. stalking the flats on mid-summer days can take it's toll on the skin for sure.

Penguin... I hope Yarmouth's finest doesn't see you driving around in that sunblock... you might get the blame for the incident at Tedeski's! ;)

rooster
03-29-2004, 11:53 PM
I beleive the only reason that a flightless bird would start this post was because he had a yenmeneze photo that he needed to display. It was merely a matter of time before some unsuspecting friend mentioned "covering up" and shazammmm....., IMHO!
Has it really been that long of a winter in area 61?
:devil:
Cheers,
DK

John Desjardins
03-30-2004, 08:13 AM
Pete try Water Babies SPF 45. It's made by Coppertone & as harmfree to the skin, eyes as any I've seen.

BigDave
03-30-2004, 08:37 AM
Pete,

Try the Coopertone sport gel the Sean suggested. Waterproof and more importantly sweat proof. I wet wade all summer and the stuff is awesome. Totally clear and absorbs into your skin (dry to the touch) in seconds so you don't need to worry about smearing your flies.

DFix
03-30-2004, 10:25 AM
The Coppertone Sport Gel or Bullfrog 45 and long sleeves as well as a full hat are what my Derma guy told me last time he took stuff off my arms, ears, etc. said I was lucky the face and nose didn't look like they were affected- YET!

P.S. -Cool pics of the chaff deployment and the Yemeni Halloween costume! :eek: (I thought I was the only one with a India Campaign helmet!:smokin: ) HEY! No, Wait- That's Claude Raines!!!:rolleyes:

FishHawk
03-30-2004, 02:40 PM
Let's hope the FBI or Homeland Security doesn't look at this thread . They'll think were a bunch of Terrorist!! :D :hehe: :chuckle: Bullfrog stick is the one to use . It can't get on your hands and the fish won't smell it.
FishHawk:D

Penguin
03-30-2004, 03:00 PM
As soon as it gets dark (I don't want to scare any children) I'm off to locate some...
Binford 5000 Industrial strength Coppertone Bull Frog Water Babbies SPF MIDNIGHT...
I've already got the SolarProof HeadGear (that's also rated to withstand direct Clauser hits)...shirts/pants/shoes/gloves...
YIKES!
Let's hear it for Solar Flaires...we're all DOOOOOMED!
:rolleyes:

Roop
03-31-2004, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Penguin
As soon as it gets dark (I don't want to scare any children) I'm off to locate some...

I've already got the SolarProof HeadGear (that's also rated to withstand direct Clauser hits)...shirts/pants/shoes/gloves...

Pete,

I doubt if you could ever scare the girls after all they've seen/ heard from you but you're welcome to come up & try anytime!

RE: the clouser helmet - I've been working on my casting + the t-top should offer you some protection from me... until I snag it...;)

DFix
03-31-2004, 10:13 AM
FishHawk- have yet to see Bullfrog stick- any hints where/$$?
Penguin- re: 'Dangers', i.e. Roop- Kevlar cape??? :eek: :chuckle:

gordonh
03-31-2004, 04:17 PM
RIT, the brand of dye found in the fabric supply shops, makes a UV protectant for use in cotton and similar materials. It can take a white T shirt from a protection factor of 5 to 30, and it holds up for basically a summer under most usages. Using this stuff there is no reason to be constrained in your flats fishing to the stuff in the catalogs, make your own protective clothing (and save money, the material is about $3 and treats a washer load).

Even if you have a number of kids, one packet is more than you need. Might be something to think of as a community activity if an early clave trip was centered at a motel with a washer and dryer. A laundry marker probably is in order too not only to keep things sorted out but because if this causes any detectable change to the fabric, it is very subtle. At least I couldn't sense any difference in the items I treated.

Penguin
03-31-2004, 04:31 PM
Now you're talkin'!
I can see laundry load in my near future and...:eyecrazy:
...if it works on the flatzzzwear...
What about some for the shower?! :hehe:

inthemeantime...
As my face sluffs off, Udder Cream has been really good....
...and, I've had a craving for 2% milk in my coffee and a hankerin' for tall fresh grass!:rolleyes:

FishHawk
04-01-2004, 06:19 AM
DFix you can get The Bullfrog stick at Campmor.com. It costs about
$6. The doctor who recommended it to me is a fisherman. He said its great because it is waterproof. Skin cancer is nothing to fool with. FishHawk
:D

jamie
04-01-2004, 06:39 AM
I use Ambre Solaire for Babies - SPF 50. Waterproof and lasts all day. You turn green when you first put it on as it has this natural pigment in it so you can make sure you get full coverage, but it clears in about 5 minutes, so you do not have to look the the Hulk on rampage.

It has some Deetfree repellant in it also. Because it is for babies it does not sting if it gets in your eyes, should you need ot rub away the tears after getting broken by a prized fish.

I will not mention the fact that it smell slightly of peppermint as that may put some of the more macho amongst you off.

DFix
04-01-2004, 11:38 AM
I think we talked about the Rit sunscreen last year or the year before; thanks for the reminder.

Also, in re: Bullfrog stick, it's only SPF 36- I looked around the web after you mentioned Campmor, and I found their website.

www.bullfrogsunscreen.com (shows all their products)

Obviously anybody who makes a high SPF protective number goop would be worthy of review.

Jamie- too bad they prob. don't market to the U.S. - might be a great entry into the market to make camouflage - THINK OF IT- Striblue could use Camo Sand/Water Sunscreen instead of Invisible Waders!!! :D

striblue
04-01-2004, 12:36 PM
I use Ultra facial Moisturizer SPF 15 by Kiehl's. The same used in Everest Expeditions... Here is what it says. This is to help Fix get some good stuff instead of the bacon grease he uses because it free........."This efficacious preparation contains Squalane, an emollient derived from olives, which closely resembles the skin's natural sebum, as well as additional skin-compatable oils derived from avacados, apricot kernels and sweet almonds. This formulation contains a broad-spectrum UV-ray sunscreen with an SPF 15 to help protect the skin from the sun's harmful rays. Leaves skin soft and elegantly conditioned.":D :devil:

DFix
04-01-2004, 12:58 PM
["This efficacious preparation contains Squalane, an emollient derived from olives, which closely resembles the skin's natural sebum, as well as additional skin-compatable oils derived from avacados, apricot kernels and sweet almonds."] ["Leaves skin soft and elegantly conditioned."]

Sounds like it oughta be on a spa menu in Palm Beach instead of around the ground-pounders we've got up here! :eek: :hehe:

I'll stick with my bear grease and bacon fat:eyecrazy: :D

fredaevans
04-01-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by John Desjardins
Pete try Water Babies SPF 45. It's made by Coppertone & as harmfree to the skin, eyes as any I've seen.

insists I put on ... if she can catch me first. Being 'made for children' it's pretty 'mild stuff' but does the job.

John Desjardins
04-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Fred for my wife its a business expense so it's doubly good. :hehe:

flydoc
04-01-2004, 01:58 PM
Penguin- I've had really good success with Banana Boat Sport #50; started using it after a coupling of blistering sunburns on my bald pate whilst fishing during my med school days (BAD med student!!!). Generally slather it on face, ears, behind ears, neck (front and back), and arms/backs of hands (legs also if no waders). Cap with brim and polarized sunglasses, of course. Used it last fall over most of my bod while on the beaches of Bermuda- ended up with only the faintest hint of a tan. I call that effective!
Shep

Penguin
04-01-2004, 02:44 PM
That's the ticket! :D
I'll hit a few likely sources, scoop up the suggestions, and run some R&D (if the sun EVER comes out again)...
...RIT UV Body Wash?! I see a marketing possibility...:rolleyes:
Today, I'm more concerned with immersion foot! :hehe:

FredA
04-01-2004, 03:40 PM
...RIT UV Body Wash?! I see a marketing possibility...

Maybe you can market the stuff on striblues web site along side of the invisible waders and the fish finder watchyamacallit.....

I try to cover up but I'm thinking about the sun gloves. My hands look the color 5 alarm chili by about 1:00pm on a day on the flats.

striblue
04-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Ok... go ahead and laugh it up!.... Fred, it's called the Zucatronand here is another picture of it..... The next post are my new waders which will make me a millionaire. Years from now people will say ... "They laughed at DiVinci , Edison and Morin!."

striblue
04-01-2004, 11:11 PM
.... and Here is PROOF of my waders. Scoff all you want.

DFix
04-05-2004, 01:03 PM
...the Zukatron is a hoax.:rolleyes:

striblue
04-05-2004, 02:13 PM
....... and to think that he was probably the only person on the forum to actually beleive that I was serious....:rolleyes: :devil: ....yes Dave... you caught me... I confess. I just can't pull anything over you. You picked right up on it.:hehe: ;)

DFix
04-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Fred the Impaler:

Sorry I didn't include this in my previous product 'endorsement'-

Please try to remember that Flats Gloves were once an item on Striblue's "Top Ten Worst" list! :eek: (I think we should all get some, maybe in colors!:devil: )

I still think Penguin's Yemeni Halloween costume is the best way to go!:smokin:

kjackson
04-05-2004, 02:42 PM
I really like the coverage of the Yemeni kafiyeh (sp?), but it will draw attention if you happen to be fishing near a naval installation of any kind...

In the harbor here, I've been paced by three big Whalers each with a .50 caliber on the casting deck. I can only wonder what my reception would be in Penguin garb. :eyecrazy:

DFix
04-05-2004, 03:14 PM
SEMPER PARATUS!

Slinger
04-05-2004, 11:23 PM
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!