Orvis Mach Reels [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Orvis Mach Reels

Bama
03-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Anyone using these? I'm in the market for a new 7wt, and am strongly considering the Mach IV reel. My three main targets are redfish, speckled trout, and bass, but I also do some inshore "potluck" fishing for bonito, Spanish macks, ladyfish, bluefish, pompano, etc. I'm also looking at Battenkill LA reels, and Old Florida LA reels. Thanks.

Eddie
03-29-2004, 07:36 AM
I haven't fished one yet, but they apear to be pretty nice. I think the B-kill and OF are also good.
The Ross Canyon seems to be the targeted niche for the Mach.
The Battenkill is a good bit lighter than the other two and the biggest size would be perfect for your stated goals.
The least expensive OF reels (the unported, non-LA ones) look cool in an old school way. I think they represent a terrific value.

Smolt
03-29-2004, 10:15 AM
For the fisihing you describe, you might want to consider the Redington Brakewater. I have a Brakewater 11/12 that I bought on a whim. I am very impressed with how it compares to the Mach (which I have only handled at the Orvis store). I suspect you would be looking at a Mach IV (200 yards of 20 lb backing with an 8-wt line). The Mach feels lighter, but less substantial than the Brakewater. List prices are about the same, but you ban pick up a Brakewater occassionally on eBay for about $220. Interestingly, Machs on eBay sell for virtually list price.

My $0.02.