Fly Fishing Forum banner

bowfin on fly

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  TonyCarpBoy 
#1 ·
I've been goin up to minnesota's ottertail county to fish. I have always had tremendous fun catching big bowfin/dogfish in the eight pound class on crappie spinning gear right next to docks. They eat anything in their path. They are big, all muscle, and almost always jump immediatly after being hooked. I was planning to see if I could catch them on size 8 streamers with an eight pound leader on a 7 weight rod. Does any know anything about fly fishing for these brutes?

#2 ·
I imagine that you're going to use a size 8 because it's a size similar to the lures you currently use for bowfins; I've caught them on some fairly large lures and bait, so to peak the interest of the fish I would consider using size 2 streamers and small- to mid-sized saltwater patterns such as deceivers and clousers. I think that a 7-weight outfit would provide good sport. Some of the bowfins I've seen in Muskegon look like they could give even an 8-weight a run for the money. Post some photos if you catch them! I wonder what the fly fishing records for bowfin are?

#3 ·
I really dont think too many people care about the whole process of taking a bowfin to a certafied scale. I wouldn't imagine that the fly record would be that big. I've hooked alot, landed few, of fish pushing the 12 pound or so state record. And frankly I wouldnt stop fishing to officially weigh a fish that the local grizzled old men are going to look at me real funny for.

#4 ·
Bowfin on the fly

Last year I landed a couple of bowfin on the fly. They were great sport.

I happen to care very little about the opinions of the locals, or the old guys, or the ******** or anyone else who has uneducated opinions about an amazing native sportfish like bowfin.

In situations where people mock me for my personal choice of targets (I fish almost exclusively for carp on the fly now), I either ignore or educate. There are many myths about 'roughfish' and few of them are true.

I say, walk in with the next giant bowfin you catch and proudly say " I think I have a record!" ;)

As for flies, I had luck with chartruse and silver clouser minnows.

Good luck.

Tony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.