News From Jim Kelley [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: News From Jim Kelley

striblue
09-12-2001, 02:34 PM
I received an e-mail from Jim saying he was called in from his Connecticut Firefighting community to take part in the recovery operation at the crime scene. He lost 200 brothers he has confirmed as part of this outrage. His job will be extremely difficult emotionally no doubt. I wanted our community to know of his situation and pray for him ,all the volunteers ,wishing them safety in this difficult time... not to mention all those who are no longer with us .

Roop
09-12-2001, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the update John, I was worrying about him.

Now we just have to worry until he's safely returned to his family.

Roop

juro
09-12-2001, 05:00 PM
I look forward to the day I see Jim and hear his spontaneous humor again. Maybe in our small way we can help wash away the horror he must be experiencing right now when we meet again under better circumstances, knee deep in water sharing jokes and stories without cares like schoolboys playing hooky.

One of the most rewarding experiences I've had from this whole Flyfishing Forum venture was when Jimmy told me how much it means to him when he returns from an emergency call he reads the forum to shake the ill effect of the call before he fills out his report. Jimmy, to someone who's job it is to be there for us, I am glad we can be there for you in our own small way.

Get home safely brother.

Juro

DFix
09-12-2001, 06:31 PM
Jim is one of the most dedicated and professional people I've ever had the pleasure to know.

When he finishes some endless shift, when he has a chance to clean up, relax, log on and read our comments of support he can take that support back to the line to share with his "Company" - the Brotherhood struggling to save lives and provide hope to victims and their families, to let them know they are all in our prayers, that they have our support, and that we are ready to provide them with any help we can, no matter how meager it may seem.

Every one of us here, the members, should bang in on this thread and show our support for Lt. Kelley, his crew, his Brotherhood of Lifesavers and Rescuers.

If we do so, it will go a great distance to lift the spirits of everyone of the Emergency Service people there who, but for the grace of God...

Hang in there Buddy - know I'm with you and all the others in spirit and just a phone call away if you need me.

Do it!

Fix - out.

juro
09-12-2001, 07:38 PM
Be safe and join us for more great times!

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/chronicles/springclave2001/journal/juros/jimmy1.jpg

Lefty
09-12-2001, 08:01 PM
Jim,
Never met you but my family sends you best wishes and safety. We are proud of your work as every American is.

Lefty

Nick
09-12-2001, 09:52 PM
Jimmy,
Best wishes on the coming days.
Hope to fish with you again soon.
Nick

Hawkeye
09-13-2001, 09:14 AM
Jimmy,

Our love, thoughts, and prayers go with you and your brothers and sisters as you meet this challenge with a level of competence and heroism unmatched around the world.

God bless you all and God bless America.

Jimmy
09-14-2001, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the warm wishes and kind words. It turns out that we didn't make down to the scene. We went to a staging area in Yonkers and waited. We were asked to go back home and wait to be called. Right now, they just have too many volunteers. There is a real problem with keeping tabs on everyone. The people running the show down there are asking that people NOT show up on their own. My department has decided to listen to the wishes of the FDNY. We will be needed in the days and weeks to come.
Like so many others in this country, I'm frustrated. I feel I should be doing more. The best thing I can do right now is to pray for those who can no longer pray for themselves.
200 hundred if not more of my brother firefighters are gone. Some were personal friends. My heart is broken.
The fire service is not a job, it is a calling. One is called to it much like one is called to the Priest Hood. We all know what could happen at any given moment, but still we carry on. These men made the ultimate sacrifice doing what they love. They did it for a love of life that is so strong, that they were willing to sacrifice their own life for the life of a stranger. It is said that they are all heroes. If we could ask them, they would say they were not. We are just ordinary men, placed in an extraordinary circumstance. If we are looking for heroes, look to the survivors. Look to their wife's and their children. They are the true heroes. In this time of pain and suffering, look to them. The courage and strength they show in the days and weeks to come will serve us all well.
I will ask only this of my friends. Tonight, say a prayer for those who are gone and for those who are still here. Hold your children and your wife little closer. Spend this time with the people that matter to you most in your life. Let them know how much they matter. You don't have to look too far for a hero. Your hero will probobly be right next to you.
Once again, I thank you for all of the kind words and good wishes. And I hope and pray that all of your friends and families are well.

Jimmy

Jimmy
09-14-2001, 10:03 AM
Sorry about the sermon but I tend to babble when I'm tired.

Jimmy

striblue
09-14-2001, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the update and that was not a sermon... we take those words as our own.. Keep in touch and be careful.

juro
09-14-2001, 10:25 AM
Jim -

I have heard so many words over these last few days but few have had the meaning and the power of yours.

However modest you guys may be, rescuers are truly the heroes of the people.

Be safe brother

Bill
09-14-2001, 01:14 PM
Beautifully said, Jimmy. Will do exactly what you suggested.