"Rumor control" [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: "Rumor control"

Moonlight
03-18-2004, 08:15 AM
Hey, has anybody heard the rumor that the Wild Steelhead Release Moratorium has been delayed until May 1, 04? This has been making the rounds over here on the Olympic Penninsula. Rivers are rising this morning a little rain will be good for the fish and the fishers.

Moonlight
03-18-2004, 08:39 AM
I guess I'm talking to myself? Just got the morning paper and the lead item in the Sports section is about the "Delay" of the moratorium until May 1, 04. Which effectively puts it off until Dec.1 as we are already restricted on the killing of Wild Steelhead in the Summer. Sometimes dock rumors are correct.

sinktip
03-18-2004, 09:34 AM
I heard it was coming last night but I couldn't get the skinny on WHY? Does the article tell why?

KerryS
03-18-2004, 09:40 AM
http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/mar1704a.htm

flytyer
03-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Amazing,

"The complexity of the rule" makes it difficult to implement by April 1st. First we have to keep in mind that too many fish spawning causes runs to decline, now we need to keep in mind that a complex rule like statewide moratorium on wild steelhead retention makes it very difficult to implement on April 1st because of a "lack of resources".

Sound more like this was done as a compromise-appeasement for the Forks Chamber of Commerce, City Council, Quileute Tribe, and Forks area fishers. What the heck, let them keep a few fish this April and then have the ban in force next winter. Why don't our commisioners have any backbone?

Brian Simonseth
03-18-2004, 06:26 PM
This is going to BACK FIRE on WDFW
:devil: