New Book- Soft Hackle Flies [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New Book- Soft Hackle Flies

striblue
03-17-2004, 05:16 PM
I picked up a really well done book on the History of Soft hackle flies . It includes some great historical data as well as flies and recipies. Called "Two Centuries of Soft hackle Flies" By Sylvester Nemes. The material dates from 1747 to the present and is on high quality glossy paper and cost $34.

John Desjardins
03-17-2004, 08:02 PM
John, that should be a good book. Nemes has a lot of knowledge on tying & using soft hackles.

striblue
03-17-2004, 08:07 PM
John, the book is small in size and really bueatifully done inside. It is not a coffee table size. A lttle smaller than Dick Browns book on bonefish flies.

gstrand
03-18-2004, 12:28 PM
I'm reading it currently.

I was lucky enough to get my copy from a buddy at somewhat local Bamboo shop (www.dunsmuirrodcompany.com) and got a signed copy with one of Nemes' flies used in the book photos mounted and labeled by Sy on the signed page. My memory is pathetic, but I seem to remember that the fly in my copy is the Stewart Red Spider pictured on page thirty something with a couple of other flies in the photo.

It's a terrific piece of research and writing on some of my favorite flies!

Don Johnson
03-23-2004, 08:36 AM
I concur that it is a good book that has obviously had a lot of effort dispensed in its production. Aside from Syl's previous trilogy on the subject, there are a couple other books on the subject, for those that are interested, that also offer a great deal of useful information.

Fly Fishing: A North Country Tradition by Leslie Magee

and

A Handbook of North Country Trout Flies by Roger Fogg

As it is, Syl's new book doesn't address these titles in great detail, if at all, which I found unfortunate as they are probably the most informative and concise I have ever read on the subject matter. John Jackson's work "The Practical Fly Fisher" and Skues' "Silk Feather and Fur" were also titles I would have thought to have seen mentioned as well as Syl's own work "Soft-Hackled Fly Imitations". The latter is important, in my opinion, because it relates the patterns of yore to American hatches with more specificity than Leisenring's work (which is also very good by the way).

I have found that www.abebooks.com is a great source for locating these older titles.

While on the subject of soft-hackled spiders, Alec ackson has recently introduced his NEW Soft Hackle Hook. It is a 2x short, 1x fine, straight-eye, Limerick bend hook with the trademarked Daiichi "Crystal Finish". These are very nice hooks that make a very sexy chassis for some elegant softies in the spirit of those tied by Walbran, Brumfitt, Pritt, et al.

I'll try to post a pic of the hooks if I can find one.

Until later,
Don Johnson