Seattle Times and the WSC [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Seattle Times and the WSC

sinktip
03-15-2004, 10:10 AM
A very good article in the Seattle Times this morning regarding the moratorium on wild steelhead harvest in the State of Washington.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001879260_steelhead15m.html

I am sure letters to the editor would be appreciated (hint, hint)

sinktip
03-15-2004, 12:20 PM
I almost forgot, don't forget to be sitting down when you read the part on why we need to harvest wild fish or there will be too many of them in the river. Ahh, I see the logic now :rolleyes:

jjohnson
03-15-2004, 01:09 PM
I can't believe that we have missed it all along. We are allowing too many fish to spawn how could we think that we weren't allowing enough. Our logic is all messed up. I hope this article sets the record staright.

PLEASE.

JJ

PS: One fo the Urban Elitests who grew up in a town of 5000 people urban center of eastern Oregon.

sean
03-15-2004, 01:36 PM
I almost forgot, don't forget to be sitting down when you read the part on why we need to harvest wild fish or there will be too many of them in the river.

I read the article this morning and not until on hour later on the drive to work did this hit me as being the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Almost drove of the ballard bridge from the shock...

-sean

Howzer
03-15-2004, 06:47 PM
why don't we see our local papers run a headline like ...
"Wild Steelhead collapse from Northern Cal to southern British Columbia Irks Anglers"???

Geez, the uproar over not getting to kill fish in the last "healthy" stocks seems to be missing the clearcut forest for those last couple trees ...

flytyer
03-15-2004, 08:34 PM
I never knew we needed to have more harvest to prevent a river system from having too many fish in the river. Hmmmm........I must have been mistaken to think it prudent to maximize the number of spawners. No wonder our Puget Sound wild winter fish are not doing very well, we need to harvest more of the suckers instead of preventing harvest through river closures.

Brian Simonseth
03-17-2004, 08:26 PM
All this time I was just dead wrong!:tsk_tsk:

rich_simms
03-23-2004, 07:34 PM
Curious, did anyone write a letter to the editor and did it show up in any paper?