Cabelas 11' 6 wt 1-hand spey rod [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cabelas 11' 6 wt 1-hand spey rod

josko
03-14-2004, 06:47 AM
I notice this is a popuar rod for Great Lakes steelheading, and I'm thinking of getting one for high-sticking and sinktips, but I'm worried the tip might be too soft to detect takes. Any information about the rod and its' suitability for nymphing would be most welcome. Should I get it or is there another rod I shoiuld look at first?
What rods should I be looking at for rivers souch as the Salmon in NY?

BobK
03-14-2004, 07:32 AM
and I LOVE it! Here, the streams are too small for a longer rod. It works well for indicator nymphing, as well as high-sticking. I've caught fish up to 12 pounds or so to date on it without problems.

One thing - it works equally well at both one-hand and two hand casting. I'm still experimenting to find the "right" line for it.

If I had to do it again, I would consider the Bob Meiser 10 1/2 foot "switch" rod in a 7-wt. for the occasional whopper. Bob's rods also have a removeable butt section so you can easily "convert" from one to two handed use... and they are an excellent rod, extremely well made. (Next time I have some extra bucks in my pocket, I will!) They are specifically designed for Rio's Windcutter lines.

Make sure you have a reel heavy enough to balance the rod, otherwise it will be tiring to use!!!

BobK