Seattle - what can one expect in late April/early May? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Seattle - what can one expect in late April/early May?

fliboy
03-13-2004, 08:38 AM
I'm looking at planning a fishing trip and was thinking either Florida area for Redfish, Tarpon and Snook - or maybe Seattle area for Salmon/Steelhead. I'm not sure when the best time is to hit the Seattle area for either species. Anyone out there have any ideas on what to expect in Seattle in that timeframe. Also looking for recommendations on guides and what areas to target. I'd like to get a guide for two days and spend a few days exploring and trying out some spots.

TL,

Dave

flytyer
03-13-2004, 02:26 PM
April 30th is the end of the C&R steelhead season on the Skagit and Sauk rivers and all the other Puget Sound rivers are closed to fishing (have been since March 1st). On the west end ot the Olympic Peninsula (which is 4+ hours drive from Seattle), only the Sol Duc is open after April 15th for spring run chinook. The Cowlitz (about 2 to 2 1/2 hours drive from Seattle) is open; however, you will have a lot of company on it. The southwest WA Kalama and Lewis are open; but they are 3 or more hours drive from Seattle and far closer to Portland, OR (1/2 to 1 hours from Portland).

June 1st in when the rivers around Seattle reopen and fishing in early June can be a crap shoot depending on how fast the high country snow melts, although the Olympic Peninsula rivers are usually very fishable by June 1st.

The low-land lakes throughout Puget Sound are opened for mostly put-and-take stocked trout and can provide some fair fishing late April ealy May.

In short, unless you are here the last week or April, there is not much in the way of fishing with the exception of the low-land lakes.