Sunshine [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Sunshine

Nooksack Mac
03-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Wednesday was a beautiful day to be outside, steelhead fishing on the Skagit River - or was it? I tend to prefer overcast days, but perhaps I'm overdue to examine this belief.
Let's hear from you guys with more consistant steelheading success. Do you find that sunshine vs. cloud cover affects your catch rate? Is sunshine more of a deal-breaker in midsummer than in wnter/spring?

sinktip
03-12-2004, 06:24 PM
Not sure if I qualify as consistent steelheading success but I do believe that for Spring fishing, sun is less of a factor than either Summer or dead of Winter. I think water clarity helps too so a sunny Sauk day with 3-4' of vis is less of an issue than the same day on the long glides of the upper Skagit with 10' of vis.

flytyer
03-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Nooksack Mac,

Despite my having the same results you did on Wednesday (it was nice running into you by the way), I don't really care if the sun is shining, if it is raining, or if it is overcast. I've caught steelhead at mid-day on very bright, cloudless, mid-summer days. I think it is more important how much the fish have been harassed than whether the sun is shining or not.