Cellular Signal Strength [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cellular Signal Strength

angel
03-12-2004, 12:35 PM
I was wondering what you guys use if you are in an area that your cell phone can no get a signal? My brother is thinking about getting a booster kit from Smoothtalker. He gave me the web site to check out. I will put it in this thread for the people that would like to check it out. The web site is smoothtalker.com.

juro
03-12-2004, 03:48 PM
That can be a safety concern, most folks are only carrying a cell phone for communications in remote places nowadays.

Popping a small walkie talkie in the vest sure wouldn't hurt either, they are down to $30-40 per pair lately for good quality units.

If those boosters work pls post here, I would add one for the safety reasons alone.

Steelheader69
03-14-2004, 06:22 PM
It's a bit more expensive, but the prices have INCREDIBLY went down over the last few years. When I used to run whitewater alot, my friend had a then VERY expensive cell phone. Was a 3 or 4 way phone, but had satellite capability. Was about $3k back then. I know they've come down to around $600 or so if you look around. Just that when your phone switches to satellite, you are paying old cell phone fees (like $1-3 a minute). But there are only two places on earth that they don't get coverage. And I do believe both are spots where people usually can't access alive anyways, or where a cell would help them any. Can't remember the company though who mostly dealt with them. But I know with his, we got service in super remote areas.

I will say, some of the new cell companies are doing a good job. I know Verizon, with a standard issue phone, gets me all the service I want in most of Western WA. Including area where even Verizon claims they get no service (on Quinault reservation and inside the OlyPen Nat'l Park). So has been a great plan for me. Nice to have that as an emergency backup.