To be 8 years old again ...just for one day. [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: To be 8 years old again ...just for one day.

ssully
08-26-2001, 01:24 AM
I had the luxury of taking my 8 year old on his first turtle hunt today. He has been asking me for this experience all summer and I had been putting it off until today. Damn it I'll cut the lawn tomorrow.

To give you some background I have taken all of my son's on the turtle hunt adventure. What we do is catch and release painted turtles that are sunning themselves. The kid rides in the front of the canoe and nets turtles to observe them and then let's them go. I used to do it as a boy and loved it so I figured I might as well pass the experinece down.

I passed up two chances on a boat to chase stripers and or pull up lobster traps "Hmmm lobsters". And it was worth every second.

I never noticed this before but sunning turtles are damn near impossible to spot with polaroid glasses on. Anyway after not seeing any for awhile I took off my glasses and there they were. He had a ball swiping at them with a net but didn't have much success.
"Gee Dad turtles aren't slow they are wicked quick". Yes Son, "they're quicker than you think". I finally broke the skunk by netting one that made the mistake of popping it's head back up through the lilly pads. My son was beaming. I snapped a picture of him with the turtle and I was eight all over again.

RayStachelek
08-26-2001, 12:51 PM
Sean

Next time you go turtle hunting with your son, bring some acrylic paint and a small brush. Painting Happy Faces on their shells is cool. Much easier to see with polarized glasses too. ;)

juro
08-26-2001, 10:02 PM
Great adventure Sully - your sons will never forget those times and I'm sure they will take their little hockey players turtle hunting too! Geez that would make you a grandfather! No rush there, eh?

I was really glad my son got to witness a bluefish blitz of biblical proportions and land a nice blue which we all enjoyed at the cookout. Not quite as memorable as hunting turtles but I hope it helps him spend less time with video games and a little more time with the brand new breathable waders I got him... I hope we become the father and son fishing buddies someday.

striblue
08-27-2001, 10:13 AM
Sean... a great time... it brings back my frog hunting days and those with my sons.

Lefty
08-27-2001, 02:46 PM
Way to go Sully!
I owe my son a largemouth in the canoe trip. Wednesday night should do it. It's his last night before school starts. Good job.

Lefty