A local rod builder passes on today [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: A local rod builder passes on today

Andre D
03-11-2004, 11:44 PM
3rd generation rod builder Press Powell died today in Chico, CA this morning. He was a local legend following in the footsteps of his father Walton and his Grandfather E.C. As soon as the the story is wriiten up, I will post a link to it. A FF Friend is writing the obituary for the local paper. And to think I ws trying to get off work to go cast on of his rods, this before I heard the news.

Andre

Moonlight
03-12-2004, 09:53 AM
Andre, Several years ago I wanted to get an E.C. Powell cane rod refinished (it was one of Wes Drains) and I decided that I would try and get one of the Powells to do the work. I was fotunate to be able to locate Great Grandson Eugene Powell and he was swamped with work at the time but agreed to refinish the rod. It took more time than he estimated and as a consequence he sent me a loaner rod. It was Press Powell's personal rod that had been given him by his Uncle.
The heritage of the Powell family in West Coast Cane rod building is alive and well. What a legacy Press, Walton, and E.C. have left for the new generation to build on.
We should all be so lucky that our individual "Legacy's" will be carried forward at our passings.