03-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Figures since the boats in the water the temps dropped 15 degrees, snowed / rained / hailed for two days, the winds shifted to NNW and has turned the river into Chocolate Milk. Brighter days ahead with a warming pattern in full effect... be there this weekend!
03-12-2004, 10:37 AM
Got out last night .. unfortunately hit the last hour of the ebb through the slack and 40 minutes into the Flood. Water temp was 35.7. Sonar was loaded with fish moving in 8-12ft of water. Pulled up alot of scales but no fish landed. Fish were stacked THICK in a few locations but had a severe case of lock jaw. Must be the front that moved in last night. Will attack again on Sat and Sun.
03-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Sound like you found them despite fishing in Choclate milk type conditions. Way to go!
Hopefully they will be ready to bite this weekend for you.
03-15-2004, 08:58 AM
Went down to the dock 3/13 ...... WINDY..30-40mph winds out of the NNW..... not good at all. Boat was heaving 3-4ft at the slip.. sheared the fenders off thier lines... bow line was starting to fray. To the local Marine Center I went to plunk down $200 for fenders, an extra line and some chafing gear. UGHHHHHHHH .. DAMN this NNW wind! Its the kiss of death.
Back out on Sunday the 14th to find the water was like Nestle Quick. Not much doing anyware except for the guys using worms that where hauling in Twinkies every couple of minutes. After a long run down to the Tappan Zee bridge and one lost fish trolling a deep diver in 38ft of water I decided to try a new method for our area. Drifting a Buckatail and Rubber. Believe it or not no one ever uses bucktails .... seems odd that the entire NE uses them with great success but here ... nope no one :eyecrazy: . So I rigged up a 3oz White Bucktail with a 7inch Fin S and dropped it down in 30ft of water just off the channel where I saw a few schools come by me. Despite a South wind honking @ 15-20knts and an incoming tide ( wind w/ tide ) it turned out it was the right combo. The jig was on the bottom... dragging @ 1.5knts .. I jigged it up maybe 10 times and WHAMO! I thought I was snagged @ first... until I felt the slow throb of the rod. I chased the fish for almost 40 minutes and over a Mile of water before it finally broke the leader at the knot to the Power Pro. At times this fish peeled off over 100yds of line! It was unbelievable. Everytime I gained on it between reeling and chasing it with the boat it would take off again. When it heard my engine it would bolt. I only got a small glimpse of some swirling in the the waves @ 30yds from the boat. It could have been a Big Sturgeon or as I would like to think it was the Largest Striper of my life.
03-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Or......................A body:D Just kidding! I think maybe a Sturgeon but the circumstances sound like possibly a big bass too. Oh well maybe next time Mike, you should think about heavier tackle on the river you never know when that biggie is gonna grab hold. This snow sucks...........Hopefully next week will bring warming weather and an end to the snow for good, but Dad used to say it ain't over till mothers day so we have some time to go yet. At least till mid-April till the warmth sets in and takes hold I think. Temps in the 50's to low 60's would be nice though.
03-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Despite the snow last night I did take her for a cruise to see if I marked anything... in Half Moon.. a few herring or shad where marked but that was all. I'll be out this weekend ... give me a hollar.