Blackstone River [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Blackstone River

FlyMan
08-25-2001, 08:56 AM
This is my first season flyfishing. So far I have fished in Vermont, Maine and the Swift River just below Quabbin. I am now looking for a few spots close to home to go to for those times when you just want to be on the water without an hour or more drive. I live in Bellingham MA (just north of Woonsocket RI) and the Blackstone River is only about 20 minutes away. I seldom hear anything about the Blackstone, so I am assuming it may not be a "great" river. But, are there any spots on the Blackstone that anyone can recommend that might serve my purpose? Specifics would be appreciated.

Or are there any other nearby brooks or streams one can recommend?

I quess you can say I am trying to locate my "home waters". Your help will be most appreciated.

troutbum
08-26-2001, 05:41 PM
Nissitissit river in Pepperell and the Squannacook in Groton/Townsend are both closer and first class trout water. Stillwater in Sterling/West Boylston is even closer with the added benefit of landlocks in the fall....soon :D
The Blackstone has some nice fish too, but the only problem is they're always GLOWING.

John Desjardins
08-26-2001, 08:55 PM
Sorry I can't give you any specifics on the Backstone, the closest waters to you that I fish with any frequency is the Wachusett reservoir. Having moved more times than I care to count I've developed a three pronged approach to finding that elusive home water.

First talk with the local tackle shops. Second look through the resources the state gives us. A couple of useful links are below.

Waters stocked with trout http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dfw/dfwsttrt.htm
Wildlife management areas http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dfw/dfw_wma.htm

Third, is time on the water. Take a drive, better yet a bike ride, along the river and stop when you come to a spot where you can park and cast. Cast a fly out and see what you get. At this time of year I'd use a muddler, hopper or an ant on a 4 or 5X leader. The worst that can happen is that you get some casting practice. You might get into some bass or sunfish. Good luck, and tell us how you do.

PS. Keep an eye on Paul Dinolo's column in On The Water. He periodically profiles lesser known waters that may be in your area.

FlyMan
08-27-2001, 10:46 PM
Thank you both for your excellent posts.

Last saturday I got out a map and began looking for access to water, then went out to see what a few areas were like (without my rod and reel). Sunday I went back to one, the area just below the dam at Blackstone Gorge, with rod and reel in hand. Started with drys and didn't catch anything and, after about 30 minutes, switched to wet flys and caught the first on the third cast. Although they weren't "glowing", the area did have an odd smell to it.

I guess it will just take some time to find these nearby spots. If anyone else can offer any suggestions, I'm certainly open to them. Thanks again!

artb
08-28-2001, 05:19 AM
Blackstone River is being cleanedup, but after so many years of neglect, its going to take a long time. Catch, but don't eat the fish. I moved to North Smithfield RI about a year ago, and haven't done any fishing in fresh water lately. There is a fishing area in Millville that even has a trout fishing derby in the spring. In RI there is lots of good troutfishing on the Blackstone between Woonsocket, and Lincoln. Wallum Lake, which is on the Mass, and RI line, and can be fished with either a Mass or RI license, if you can put up with the powerboats there is some excellent brown trout fishing to be had for trophy browns. This is a kettle lake and has a depth near the middle of about 100 feet. There is a ramp on the north side of the lake. Very good fishing at times. Hope this helps.