Fly-Fishing for what? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Fly-Fishing for what?

mayflyman
08-19-2001, 09:02 PM
What was the strangest thing you ever caught on a fly rod?
I caught a snail while nymph fishing for trout, the barbless hook snagged the shell of the tiny mollusk.
It was not a state record so I quickly released it. :-D

Post your "non-target trophies" for all to enjoy...

jborkowski
08-19-2001, 09:09 PM
bats

lots-o-bats

NWflyfisher
08-20-2001, 12:10 AM
A Seagull on the NC Outer Banks while fishing for Bluefish in the surf at Buxton. Blues breaking the surface everywhere, baitfish doing the panic two-step, birds going berserk diving into the surf all around me; he took it "on the fly" (so to speak) just before it hit the water...not a fun time for him or me! C&R'd him after a 10-minute battle he nearly won.

Sprocket
08-20-2001, 08:00 AM
I caught a fresh water clam once, size 10 beadhead ptail nymph - it was a really strange day overall.

Willie Gunn
08-20-2001, 02:36 PM
Wood Pigeon whilst spey casting on the Deveron. It got caught in the loop and landed in the water beside me. I could not understand why the line had stalled on the power stroke and where all the splashing was coming from.

juro
08-21-2001, 11:16 AM
My son caught a cormorant on a 5 weight. Actually, I was teaching him to use the fly rod for bream and the cormorant ate the fish. I had wandered down the shore and was surprised to look back and see him wrestling something really big, and suddenly the big bird pops out of the water with it's wings flared out like a large bat! I ran over and cut the tippet while he held the leader taught. Some nearby bird watchers came over to reprimand me on my action but in fact the backward facing spines of the fish would have killed the bird if I had tried to extract the tiny dry fly from the fish's mouth by pulling it out of the bird's throat. I knew I did the right thing in leaving the fly and a tippet in the bird's meal, the whole thing took but one second and the bird could be seen continuing it's fishing in the pond moments after.

My personal best, although not landed, was a very large gray seal perhaps 300 pounds on a sand eel pattern in a shallow ocean flat. The seal cruised in, followed the fly, decided it was real and CHOMP! After an unbelievable run I clamped down on the spool and the tippet popped. The seal then came up to see what the heck had happened with the same dumb look my dog gives me after I send it to the corner for misbehaving.

Fred Evans
08-21-2001, 04:54 PM
When it's hot here in Southern Oregon you'll get lots of rafters floating the upper Rogue on the weekend. I'm pretty much a 100% spey guy so I'm casting, I'm not paying attention and I'm hooked into some poor guys Tahiti.

A number 6 hook leaves a pretty good hole when it pulls out......... you can guess the rest. Not sure exactly what happened next as I 'slunk' away.