...On floating Lines, Flies and leaders...Oh my! [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: ...On floating Lines, Flies and leaders...Oh my!

erck
08-15-2001, 08:48 AM
OK, as a beginner I've noticed a problem...

When I use a floating fly line and a Dry fly, should my leader float and tippet sink? I see if I treat my tippet so it floats then
it leaves a set of 'ripples' that lead...right ....up........to .......
my fly!

Seems very 'fake', should my leader 'float' and treat the "tippet" so it just sinks thru the surface film, or what?

I have this issue on still lakes and ponds...Ideas?

Erck

Brad
08-15-2001, 09:02 AM
I fished the Frazier a couple of weeks ago and found fish rising like crazy to a BWO Hatch. I had been nymph fishing with a fluorocarbon tippit and when i found the hatch left that on and tied on a parachute BWO. It worked great, the tippit sank leaving the fly on the surface without the pattern of the tippit on the surface. I was told in the past not to use fluorocarbon while fishing drys because the presentation is not that great but it sure worked that day.

erck
08-15-2001, 09:43 AM
Yes, with fine tippets I could see this work. I agree in all I've read and see online it's a no-no to 'sink' a tippet and float a fly & Fly Line.

Can standard mono tippets be "treated" to float or sink without scaring fish? What would you use, same as a fly? Xink? Gink? or Gehrke's Knot Perfect?

Some tippets sink anyway like fluoro...see 'specific gravity'
http://wcuvax1.wcu.edu/~mbrown/spec.html