Computer Virus [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Computer Virus

mark@carponline.com
08-11-2001, 01:32 PM
Earlier today I received an email that contained a “worm virus”
This is a mass-mailing worm with an attachment.

If the attachment is opened will send emails to all the people in your address book, sending them the virus.

The email if you receive one reads.

Hi! How are you?
I send you this file in order to have your advice.
See you later.
Thanks.

The attachment I received was entitled “River Barrow Redd count 1999-2000 xls.pif.

Do not open this attachment.

This attachment seems to be aimed at anglers as it has “River in its title”

Details on how to eradicate this can be found here. http://www.carponline.com/Forum/showthread.php?s=2fef8084fb1bc2d19a0188db9ccc119f&threadid=307

juro
08-12-2001, 12:13 PM
Mark -

Thanks for the notice, this is the well-known SirCam worm virus. It is not directed at anglers per se, but if it infects an anglers mail system it could appear that way, since anglers usually have anglers in their maillists and the subjects it chooses to propagate are derived from each infected host, etc.

The best places to learn about and/or eradicate these computer viruses are sites like Symantec (Norton Utilities), McAffee, etc. You can find information, remedies, and great options for protecting your computer in the future.

Note also that if you have more than one computer on a network the infected machines will re-infect any other machines on the network.

The best medicine is prevention, do not open attachments from anyone you don't know and trust.