Trout University? [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Trout University?

juro
03-04-2004, 10:02 AM
I have an idea that might bring more of the northeastern members into finesse fishing, wash the crusty salt deposits off and try a little sweetwater...

Trevor Bross, T&T sponsor dude, has invited us to visit them out in western MA. If I am not mistaken, this is in some mighty fine trout territory. With spring right around the corner, I would like to know if anyone is interested in a day of fishing and visitation to one of the premier fly rod makers in the world.

Most likely drive out the night before, crash at cheap area lodging which should be plentiful, then fish the morning. Visit T&T mid-day, fish the evening and drive home.

We would need those who are more knowledgeable in the ways of the wily trout to get some of us salts to stop double hauling for 30 foot casts and tell us to take the clouser off, that trout wants a midge, etc. So we would group up accordingly or else gather at one run and let the sages go through first telling the rest what is going on.

Trevor knows a thing or two about the trout streams in the area as well.

Dave, et. al -

What would be the best time for this from a seasonal perspective? Anyone interested?

John Desjardins
03-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Juro, I'm interested. Timing wise I'd go for somewhere between mothers & fathers day.

striblue
03-04-2004, 10:24 AM
I would be interested....

juro
03-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Striblue -

Just wanted to warn you, that streamwater is very cold and you can not wade barefoot... at least not past the thighs :devil:

flyfisha1
03-04-2004, 11:07 AM
Depending upon when this would take place, I'd love to join you. I wanted to show Trevor the rod I was working on anyway.

BigDave
03-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Sounds like a good time. A midday visit to T&T would be ideal since this is usually high-water time on the Deerfield.

Not sure where the factory is located but I consider the Deerfield, Westfield and Millers to be the prime western MA rivers.

As far as timing these rivers take a bit longer to round into shape, particularly the Westfield which is my favorite of the 3. May and June are the prime months for hatches (great timing, for the SW guys huh?) April can be good as long as you're not adverse to chucking a size 4 Kaufmann stone or wolly bugger. Down and dirty tactics are the name of the game for early-season.

Lots of lodging options in the area. I like Mohawk State Campground which has a nice pub and the Deerfield runs right through it. Short drive to Fife Brook Dam and the upper C&R section which is some of the state's finest and most scenic trout water.

Timing will depend on weather, flow conditions and stocking schedules. I'm no expert but willing to help where I can.

Dave

Adrian
03-04-2004, 11:59 AM
Sounds interesting - depending on timing.

Don't worry Striblue, I have a spare floating line :devil: :hehe:

striblue
03-04-2004, 12:05 PM
HHHHMMMM.....Well...I do have neoprens which look like new and I have owned them for over 10 years... real antiques. Did use them at the swift one July day with the temperature about 95.... and I was shivering after a while in the Swift..... so ...I will be well garbed for this adventure.

jared
03-06-2004, 01:45 PM
interested....let me know what dates you're looking at.

-J

SDHflyfisher
03-06-2004, 02:34 PM
i amy be able to go

anytime between mid june and mid august

josko
03-06-2004, 05:56 PM
I think I'd like to tag along if my schedule can support it.

josko
03-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Bump.
Anything happening with this idea?

juro
03-22-2004, 02:07 PM
I am open early April and early May. After that things are choked up until mid-July and we'd have to postpone until the fall for trouting I would suspect...

May 1st would be best for me... anyone else?

John Desjardins
03-22-2004, 02:10 PM
May 1 is a possibility. I'll check the calender tonight.

flyfisha1
03-22-2004, 02:14 PM
I'll be camping at the Delaware water gap that weekend; best of luck to those that can make the trip!

John Desjardins
03-22-2004, 10:17 PM
May 1 is free for me.

BigDave
03-23-2004, 09:23 AM
May 1st is out for me.

jared
03-23-2004, 12:20 PM
Will need to check the family schedule....was actually thinking about doing the shakedown cruise that weekend, so not sure I can vanish for *both* days.

-j

FrankF
03-24-2004, 06:55 PM
May 1 is good for me. I look forward to it.

John Desjardins
04-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Since May 1'st is this Saturday I'm bringing this back to the top. I have the day freed of family obligations and am wondering if anyone is interested.

jared
04-27-2004, 05:56 PM
Plans have changed on my side as well....heading to the Farmington on Friday now and picking up the boat either on Sat or Sun......so I'm out.

-j

FrankF
04-27-2004, 08:14 PM
I am still very interested for May 1...this Saturday. Just let me know where you want to meet an what time.

Regards,
Frank

John Desjardins
04-28-2004, 09:32 AM
Lets not determine a time/location until tomorrow am. Any more interest?

Adrian
04-28-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm free on Saturday and could be interested in this. Coming up from Western CT distance will be a factor. Within 150 miles should be o.k.

juro
04-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks John -

I have an opportunity to make some money this weekend and am not in a position to decline lately. I am teaching a spey casting class in NH and will be unable to attend.

Last time I spoke to Trevor Bross he was psyched about it, I think anyone who can should go for it - sounds like a perfect way to enjoy the phenomenal weather we can expect this weekend before the stripers show up not too far down the road.

Let me know if you need me to contact Trev, or else he can be reached at 413 774-5436.

John Desjardins
04-28-2004, 10:39 AM
Juro, I 'll get in touch with Trevor see what can be done.

John Desjardins
04-28-2004, 02:52 PM
I'll bring this topic up to date.

I spoke with Trevor and unfortunately they will not be able to give a tour this weekend.

Location wise I'm leaning towards starting on the Swift river. While it can be a challenging technical river, I know of a smaller stream in the area that isn't too difficult to fish. Its also a little closer for Adrian. I'll try to find a place near there for Adrian to get a license.

John Desjardins
04-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Adrian & Frank, what is a good time for you to meet on Saturday morning. I have found a shop not far from the Swift to get a license that opens at 5 am on Saturday so whatever you decide will work out fine.

Meeting place: At the route 9 bridge over the Swift river in Belchertown. This is the first road the river crosses after leaving the Quabbin. If you need direction contact me.

I'll Pm both of you my cell # later today.

Adrian
04-29-2004, 10:54 AM
John & Frank, thanks but I think I'm hitting the salt this week-end. The tides are looking good for the lower Housatonic in the p.m. and after my first keeper last week-end .............

John Desjardins
04-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Adrian, I hope the Housy produces for you. Frank, Since it looks like just the 2 of us I'll Pm you about some other options that are closer to both of us.

FrankF
05-01-2004, 08:20 PM
Fished with John Desjardins today at the Nissitissit. Had a super day. John taught me alot. (Nice guy also.. I am glad I signed up with the forum. ) Caught my first trout on the fly in Massachusetts.

Also fished the Farmington River in CT ( on Thursday) just north of New Hartford and on up to Riverton. Had a great day. Caught a large rainbow trout (15 inches plus) and a brown about 12 - 13 inches. (all on streamers)

I fished alot in the past three days. Took off Thursday and Friday. Fished the Farmington on Thursday. Went to the Westport River on Friday (nada) and then went to Ninigret Pond (nada). Saturday I went out with John on the Nissitissit. So far it has been a very relaxing three days. My wife tells me that it is not supposed to rain tomorrow.. so maybe I will fish again. Four days in a row...wow... it has been a long winter.

Regards
Frank

Adrian
05-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Glad you guys had fun in the sweetwater!

BigDave
05-03-2004, 09:18 AM
By avoiding the Swift. I went there on friday and it was DEVOID of fish around the hatchery hole (aside from a couple of belly-up rainbows:mad: )

Didn't see or spook a single fish between RT 9 and the Y-pool. There were a couple of holdovers at the Y swimming around with the suckers but that's about it. Luckily the Nis saved the day for me as well. Had a couple of savage rises to a flatwing grannom and did OK. Nice day to be out.

John Desjardins
05-03-2004, 10:20 AM
Frank I'm glad you had a good time, and caught some fish after I left. We'll have to do it again.

Dave I thought that the Nissitisset would be an easier river to fish and closer to home for both Frank & I . And I'd had an identical report on the Swift from some one else. Glad you got into some fish.