Cephalopods in action [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Cephalopods in action

Adrian
03-02-2004, 11:30 PM
Came across this earlier - some cool underwater shots to inspire before the real thing arrives in just a few weeks :smokin:

http://www.mnh.si.edu/cephs/v01/v01.html#illex1

striblue
03-03-2004, 12:24 AM
Adrian...thanks for posting this...these are excellent to help in tying these... It's interesting to see the continuious action in the swimmerettes as oppose to the tenticles.

Adrian
03-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Yes, I noticed that too. Also, the overall cigar shape with the longest two tentacles (feeders) are about the same length as the mantle with the rest quite a bit shorter. The eye appears roughly in the center.

Now we just need someone to come up with something to replicate the movement of that swimming fin :devil:

BigDave
03-03-2004, 09:29 AM
Cool!

Didn't realize they could just "cruise" steadily along the bottom like that. Looks like a steady two-handed strip :devil:

striblue
03-03-2004, 10:24 AM
Now we just need someone to come up with something to replicate the movement of that swimming fin

Yes!... I thinking about it right now!:devil:

Adrian
03-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Here is my attempt at mimicking the real thing. I make no claims to originality since all of the ideas have been used before.

http://www.avsharp.com/squid.jpg

By the way, its a FLATWING:devil:

There is no rule that says flatwings have to be "flat" (aka skinny) - anymore than a deceiver has to be flat (when viewed from the side). Think of a deceiver with the tail rotated 90 degrees. Now imagine the view from below where most predators attack from.

Construction is fairly simple:

The tentacles are 8 saddles: select four pairs of increasing length (1,1 - 2,2 - 3,3 - 4,4). The shortest are about half the length and twice the width of the longest. (The more I look at the real thing, the more inclined I am to go with fatter rather than narrower feathers.)

The mantle is white bucktail tied in Bop Popovics hollow fly style with a bit of salmonpink litebrite worked between the segments.

For the swimming fins I used a couple of clumps of white marabou tied in at the sides.

For the eye I just made a couple of blobs on the saddles with a black pantone pen.

Tye in the saddles flatwing style, using a stiff bucktail platform for support. Start with one of the shortest pair curve side up (1,) followed by one of the next longest (2,), then one of the the next (3,) and one of the longest (4,). Now reverse the process tying each saddle in curve side down -Longest (,4) ,then (,3) then (,2) finally the shortest (,1). This creates a tapered "praying hands -church-steeple" effect.

This looks awesome in the water - the hollow fly style really pulsates.

Bob has a technique where he cuts the saddles out as a strip still attached to the skin and wraps them around the hookshank. The effect is incredible but I've not mastered it yet.

Just a few more weeks before the squid boats will be heading for the sound:smokin:

juro
03-30-2004, 08:52 PM
Great stuff!

Too bad they didn't have footage of squid in flight, a real sight. Once you see that you realize why those ranger plugs are so effective.

Quentin
03-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for the link.

I've tied a few squid patterns but have yet to try them because I'm not sure when and where to use them. I've never seen squid among the bait that has been present when I've been fishing. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a live squid at all except in an aquarium. I guess they are very hard to see, and I read somewhere that it's easy to mistake them for fish if you do see them.

Under what conditions do you decide to tie on a squid pattern?

Q

Adrian
03-31-2004, 08:56 PM
I would try one any time in the surf or from the Kayak around harbors, jetties and docks especially at night. They tend to stay deep during the day and come into shallower water to hunt down baitfish at night.

The squid boats arrive in Nanucket sound in May so I guess thats migration time - about the same time as the Herring and of course the Stripers. They probably stay around most of the season.

A few years back in early June, on the way out to fish South Monomoy from a flats boat, we came across a Striper blitz targetting squid outside Stage Harbor. We never made it to South Monomoy :D

saltydog
04-01-2004, 02:57 PM
ADRIAN, very nice ty.
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN:smokin:

FishHawk
04-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Nice tie Adrian. Should prove to be a killer.
FishHawk:D