An Idea: Forks Fish-In [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: An Idea: Forks Fish-In

NrthFrk16
03-02-2004, 06:22 PM
I was thinking the other day about just how cool it would be to fish the Lower Hoh and/or Duc on April 1 just as symbolic sort of thing.

But then I began thinking a little more and an idea crossed my mind.

It seems that from the quotes I have read and talking to those that have talked to some of the powers that be out in Forks, that there are actually many who not necassarily adimantely opposed to WSR. There are many however, that are very anxious and worried about what will happen to their economy.

So how about this?

Those of us that support Wild Steelhead Release make a show of force the first weekend in April. There are thousands of us and I am sure enough of us could get together to fill the motel rooms, clog the dinners and eateries, create lines at the gas stations and book every guide in town.

The idea is to show those who are opposed to WSR and/or worried about what will happen to the town of Forks, that Wild Steelhead Release is good for Forks.

If a few hundred fishermen show up one weekend and tell the motel owners, the waitresses, the gas station clerks, the checkers at the Thriftway etc. etc. that "I am hear because of Wild Steelhead Release and I will return because of Wild Steelhead Release.", that maybe we can make a differance and change some minds.

Thoughts?

flytyer
03-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Sparky,

That is a great idea!

Doublespey
03-02-2004, 06:29 PM
I'm for it - just gotta pick a good date and head over there.

I think that would be a great idea - I don't think they realize how many of "us" fish there regularly.

I'm sure I can get that first weekend! Others?

Brian Simonseth
03-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Sign me up!:smokin:

It don't matter when I go, just that I go:devil:

Leland Miyawaki
03-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Count me in Sparkey. Shall we extend the invite to the WFF board also?

Let's bring it up at the WSC meeting tomorrow night.

I have a Forks city councilman I would like to invite over to share a beer saturday night at wherever we might be hangin' at.

Leland.

NrthFrk16
03-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Leland-
Please post this over on the WFF Board. I am not well like by many over there! :hehe:

I am getting a good response here and on Bob's as well BUT we need bodies. To really make a differance we need to light up the no-vacancy signs, pack the eateries etc.

So either the weekend of April 3rd or the 10th is the question.

North Island
03-02-2004, 08:28 PM
A Brilliant Idea!

. . . and may I suggest that the participants obviously MARK their money to show the contribution of the WSR anglers. I hope this demonstration goes forward.

N I

NrthFrk16
03-02-2004, 08:34 PM
Taken from another board:

"I had an idea.
How about a stamp, like www.wheresgeorge.com that says something to the effect that "This dollar generated by WSR". Put the stamp on the cash you spend out there. That way they could really see the impact."

juro
03-02-2004, 09:20 PM
I might try to set the "long distance traveler" record for this one!

We'd been talking about this on the moderator board, but glad you brought this great approach into the limelight Sparky!

Poul
03-02-2004, 09:26 PM
I'm in for the first week-end in april..

Poul

kush
03-02-2004, 10:05 PM
The following weekend is better for me - as it is Easter I have 4 days off. However, being Easter I realize others may be doing family stuff. I will do whatever I can to be there, whenever.

sean
03-02-2004, 10:27 PM
I am there.

-sean

roballen2
03-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Sparkey...

I'd try to be there but umm be careful remember the Sandy spey clave?? that started from just 7-8 guys wanting to get together and go fishing..

Philster
03-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Better check with the WFF boys... Make sure they aren't planning a get together then too... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Leland Miyawaki
03-02-2004, 11:33 PM
They are because I posted it over there. The more people who come to Forks the better.

Leland.

andre
03-02-2004, 11:57 PM
That weekend I'll be in NYC, I'm taken the wife for her B-day. Let me know if the timing changes.

andre

roballen2
03-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Something to think about.....

Obviously the "town of forks" is opposed to the wild release ban because they see it as hurting their bottom line...

Maybe when one of us goes to Forks and spends money there we should tell the waitress, cashier ect.. that we are there spending money because it's a great place to catch and release wild steelhead...

Killing wild steelhead is ofcourse obnoxious and selfish but with the non- fishing public we might catch more flies with honey than viniger..

So go to the drve in and make a point of saying.. " i am in town to catch and release wild steelhead, were it not for the wild steelhead I wouldn't be here..

just a thought.....

beau purvis
03-03-2004, 10:28 AM
fishin in support pf WSR sounds like a great idea.unfortunately dollars are what rules. in hunting the best game populations exist where hunting dollars support the animals.too often the fishing sportsman of washington state have been a divided group up against the unified commercial interests. we all talk about how much more $ a sportsmans fish generates. time to demonstrate that that is indeed the case and that a fish not killed and allowed to spawn can even generate more revenue than a killed fish.I would be there for sure if not severely hobbled with a badly broken leg!!!!someone please go for me!!Beau

Doublespey
03-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Just a few thoughts. I really like marking "our" money with some sort of "C&R Wild Steelhead" stamp. Maybe just the $20 and $10 - marking each $1 might seem cheap. :hehe:

I also think we need to go over with a good attitude - as Rob said, there's little to be gained from a hostile invasion and we don't really want to alienate the Forks faithful. We want to make a point that we're there because of the wild steelhead and we're just as happy that it's C&R as that will lead to more fish in the rivers for us all to catch.

Lets do a poll as to which date works the best for people. Get a couple people to do the organization, find out who can bring floating devices, etc.

Lets Do It!:D

sinktip
03-03-2004, 01:42 PM
I support everyone going to Forks and spreading spending around with the "we came to CnR" message. Someone suggested a spey clave and I think that would draw a good number of people but might further reinforce the "fly guys are the enemy" mentality.

As for a Fish-In, I might be willing to go drink with you all but the idea of a huge group fishing weekend isn't my cup of tea.

sean
03-03-2004, 02:01 PM
Yeah with the interest this is generating I do not think fishing is going to happen. I will most likely just show up for support.

Maybe we should not fish. A large group of people descending on the river may put off folks who are actually there on a planned fishing trip. Just a thought.

-sean

beau purvis
03-03-2004, 02:22 PM
maybe a good thought ,also.kind of like the kingfishers not fishing the T,but showing up to support the Spences Bridge community. I thought that was a great idea from Dana or whoever came up with it. some people did not seem to get the symbolism of that , but I thought it had much more impact than everyone fishing!!!Beau

juro
03-03-2004, 03:22 PM
- A spey clave is not fishing, Nolan's can't get any worse anyway, no one would even notice ;) (seriously there are many places where such a get together would not bother anyone, Oxbow for instance although it's right bank.

- What about two-handing the BEACH? I heard rockfish are awesome fighters :devil:

Leland Miyawaki
03-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Clave? Clave? What Clave?

I had in mind a bunch of guys going fishing over on the OP with a few beers and dinner later that evening trading stories followed by breakfast the next morning. Like we do in real life.

I don't think a clave, demo, parade or march through town carrying signs is what's needed.

Leland.

flytyer
03-03-2004, 06:15 PM
Sinktip,

There are many places I could take you to fish that only require a bit of bushwacking (really more of a nice walk) to get to the runs, including the run that was Glasso's favorite for spring fish. I used to call a day where I saw more than 4 or 5 boats or another fisher on foot a crowded day when I lived in Port Angeles.

Leland Miyawaki
03-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Now we're talkin'. Let's all just do in Forks what we're good at fishing. The rest will take care of itself.

Leland.

sinktip
03-03-2004, 07:36 PM
I mentioned the clave simply because it had been brought up before.

Russ,

I know there are places to slip away from the crowds. My concern, other than the fact I despise floatilla and fishing parties, is that the poor guy who only gets one weekend a year to fish and is over there with his old friend from high school, his father or his son will get overrun by a huge group of clowns trying to make a one time political statement. Now that this is also on PP and WFF, it has the potential to be a cluster*&^%.

my .02

Sinktip

flytyer
03-03-2004, 07:52 PM
Sinktip,

Oops, thanks for reminding me about this possibility. I did not consider it and of course you are correct. My favorite WA State river is near Forks and I have shared it many times with folks fishing fly, spinner, yarn, gear, and plug without any hostilities.

rich_simms
03-03-2004, 07:59 PM
I am going to head over the day after the show to help prolong the economic support. :devil:

NWflyfisher
03-03-2004, 09:54 PM
error...no msg.

NrthFrk16
03-04-2004, 03:46 AM
This evening amongst us at the WSC meeting, we discussed this idea and decided that yes the idea is good but the implentation needs to be improved.

For fear of creating animosity, grandstanding, protesting, stamping of money and bragging "Yes I am here because of Wild Steelhead Release" will be avoided. However, we will show up as fishermen, they will know we are fishermen and most likely they will know we are there because of Wild Steelhead Release.

We will show our support of Forks quietly but in a large group.

So, the first weekend in April (with Saturday April 3rd being THE DAY) we will go to Forks to fish. We will rent their rooms, eat in their restraunts, buy their gas, hire their guides, fish their waters and more or less, gather as steelheaders. Everyone is invited.

In leu of hiring guides and descending on the river in masse, I think a Spey Clave/just plain old Steelhead Clave would be a great idea. I think how many people actually show up will decide just how much fishing we do and I know that some will only come if they can fish and to keep the number of particapants high, we should not discourage fishing.

OC
03-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Thanks Sparky for hearing us out. Forks just does not need at this time a bunch of Metrosexuals parading down the street. The folks of Forks have a lot of pride and really are friendly if your cool.

sinktip
03-04-2004, 04:31 PM
OC,

Remembering that we are a family friendly site, could you please define "Metrosexuals".

Since you are the creator of the very popular and effective steelhead pattern the "bisexual" I am wondering what your creative, if lone focused, mind has come up with now.

sean
03-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Hey OC,

Metrosexual is my wifes favorite word. Where did you pick it up at?

By the looks of most of you guys I do not think any of us can really be called metrosexuals.

We are not cleaned up enough even though we live in the city....

-sean

OC
03-04-2004, 05:01 PM
Honestly Sinktip,

You don't know! I'll do my best.

After a rough but enlightning weekend with the boys of the OP I got to thinking about a word used often around the campfire. Not wanting to sound out of touch I didn't ask what it ment. When I got home I looked it up on a Google search.

This is what I found for the Pacific NW. The definition is from a woman named Salzman.

METROSEXUAL. Originally used in mid 90's to describe urban (and urbane) young and middle aged men who were self indulgent, even narcissistic and who were interested in fashion and beauty.

But now in the Pacific NW it has been reinvented with a twist she says. The story is that the 21st century fly fishing and some gear fishermen have become neutered and insecure as a result of the rise of female fishing power on the rivers. Straitmen both happily married and those single are confused by the new gender equality (and the barrage of comment saying they're useless and obsolete), are turning to methods more traditionally associated with women, such as power dressing on the rivers and beauty treatments afterwards to assert themselves. Metrosexual man, the therory goes, wants to be thought of as caring, nurturing and open-minded, while rejecting many traditional male fishermen virtues. Other futurologists feel at the moment that it is the NW fishermen feeling a realigment of gender roles that hasn't worked its way to conclusion yet.

According to one expert the NW metrosexual lives near the city uses beauty products, fancies Kylie Minogue but would never cheat on his partner. You can spot a metrosexual because they have a love for salmon pink shirts worn under their fishing jacket.

I hope those that have found themselves live a really happy life fishing as you feel confortable.
Love
OC

sinktip
03-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Many thanks. It is indeed a bad day when I don't enrich my word power. Now that you have explained it, I know the type you are referring to. Or to quote Tommy Chong, "I think I jammed with that dude".

OC
03-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Well I'm going home tonight and design a new fly that goes with the bysexual and it will be called the metrosexual and will be used for hatchery fish only!:smokin:

Moonlight
03-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Ohh My GAWD!!!!:devil:

flytyer
03-05-2004, 12:26 AM
OC,

I would suppose this means that all of us with patches on our waders, fishing vests that have that nice patina acquired after 10+ years of use, funky fishing hats, old flannel shirts, even older jackets, and old-fashioned clippers instead of nippers and other similar accoutrements do not meet the ambit necessary to be dapper metrosexuals.

I just got a new pair of wader for Christmas and I like to fish with my wife. I best be careful lest I plummet into the abyss of metrosexual.

NrthFrk16
03-05-2004, 12:29 AM
...and yet another thread is hijacted by Sinktip and/or OC's sophmoric minds.

Fishing with Mary, bisexuals, metrosexuals...whats next??? :tsk_tsk:

KerryS
03-05-2004, 09:56 AM
Flytyer,

If you live north of Stanwood you cannot be labeled metrosexual. Although there could be a pocket of metrosexualism within the city limits of Mt. Vernon. To avoid guilt by association I suggest moving to Hamilton, Fork's sister city.

juro
03-05-2004, 10:04 AM
I've heard metrosexuals were responsible for the pink worm craze :devil:

No metrosexual in his/her right mind would fish a black bunny rat with unkempt deerhair so I guess I am safe, besides my waders are rancid and should be burned and after reading this I suddenly like them that way :smokin: :hehe:

juro
03-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Metrosexual == William Joseph packs! :devil:

Moonlight
03-05-2004, 10:29 AM
Juro are you sure that there is a Female equivalent of Metrosexuality? This could be thought provoking ,I fear where the OC will take this, hopefully not back to my camp>:smokin:

OC
03-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Flytyer,

Your ok as long as the patches are not designer patches.

Juro,

Never thought about the pink worm. You know I didn't put Sparky under the term Metrosexual but you know I may have to reconsider as he does fish heavy with pink. And to be fair I once designed a fly called The Pink Poodle, where does that leave me, I'd better go see my welfare sponsored shrink.

Moonlight,

I can't bring any of my female friends to your camp. They are all down in Portland getting married this weekend.

Knowing most everyone here I can't call any of us crusty old souls by any name execpt maybe bums of steelhead.

I just hope all fishermen have respect for the folks of Forks and other communities throughout the NW. We don't need to kiss their butts and we don't need to rub it in. Just be ourselves, if your passing through their town spend money like you would have anyway if none of this balony was happening. Just have fun and don't be metrosexual when out there. Then again if you are metrosexual being yourself out in forks will help lighten up the town a bit.

NrthFrk16
03-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey Juro-
I fish pink worms, fish unkept deer hair Rats and OWN 3 William Joseph packs...what are you trying to say??? :confused: :hehe:

juro
03-05-2004, 11:58 AM
Hmmm....

take off those ragwool socks, let us see your toenails

AHA French Tips! ;) :chuckle:

Well the black bunny rat gets you off the hook this time. :smokin:

flytyer
03-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Kerry,

I do indeed live north of Stanwood; however, I don't consider Hamilton the Forks of the Skagit Valley because Darrington is far more like Forks.

OC,

Crusty old bum of steelhead eh? I simply thought that using a fishing vest you like until the material wears out and starts to tear or wader until patching is no longer an option were because most of us like the patina of use these article acquire with time astream. Besides, we'd rather spend our money on more important things like a new rod, line, or gas to go fishing.

Nooksack Mac
03-05-2004, 08:45 PM
Back to the original subject of this thread: Let me suggest this for an inexpensive, effective enhancement: Between now and that weekend in early April, have a batch of business cards printed up (somebody's usually running a special, where you can get 500 for less than the cost of a ferry ride) that say: "I'm spending this money here because of the opportunity to catch and release wild steelhead." (Your name and/or other data is optional.) Hand one of these out with every purchase you make in Forks, whether cash or credit card. When we've gone home and they're piling up the business cards they've received, the dullest merchant will be certain to get the idea.

And we can keep handing them out, at other times and other places: Oso, Marblemount, Lewiston and Clarkston, Chilliwack...:eyecrazy:

NrthFrk16
03-06-2004, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by juro
take off those ragwool socks, let us see your toenails

AHA French Tips! ;) :chuckle:

No French Tips on these toes...however, my feet are webbed! Wanna see??? :whoa:

juro
03-06-2004, 07:33 AM
Ryan,

I jest of course... thanks for inspiring us to put our best "foot" forward for our brothers in Forks.