MA Fishing License [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: MA Fishing License

jamie
03-02-2004, 08:32 AM
I bought my MA fishing license online late last week and it arrived here in the UK in yesterdays post (if only British bureaucracy was this efficient). Only had a chance to have a quick look at it yesterday and today I am left slightly confused, no doubt of my own making. I saw something on it about Marine Fishing and was wondering if a $37.50 (Non Resident) State Fishing Permit allowed me to fish the salt or whether it was for fresh water only and I need a further license to fly fish from the shore?

Thanks for your help.

Smcdermott
03-02-2004, 08:47 AM
Jamie,

You are correct that the license only covers Freshwater fishing. Currently you do not need a license to fish the salt with the exception of a few migratory species such as Blue Fin Tuna.

Sean

Paxton
03-02-2004, 09:12 AM
Hi Jamie,
Salt water fishing is in fact free however your airfare is another matter :)
Hope your plan on fly fishing the Chatham area (South Beach and Monomoy). If you have never done it, you have a treat to experience. Feel free to email if you desire company.
Ron

jamie
03-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the response guys.

It is the same in the UK; you do not require a license to fish the salt. I thought you needed one in the US; is it different for each State? As I am going to be in Cape May (NJ) for a few days initially.

Ron, I was planning on getting to Chatham and am always up for a little company, especially when there is some local knowledge to be had. I think the boss lady is thinking of staying in the Yarmouth area, or somewhere around the Mid Cape.

Paxton
03-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Jamie, I don't know if you have ever been to Cape Cod. Yarmouth is about a 1/2 hr drive (pending traffic) from Chatham. In my opinion, the Cape doesn't begin till Chatham and north. The towns below Chatham are more congested, but of course....a tourist haven for shopping which your wife would probably like. However, if she dumps you of at either of the 2 water taxi services in Chatham for 8 hrs of fishing, she will have enough time to shop till she drops :D South Beach and Monomoy present miles of flats fishing(each). South Beach also has a surf side if you like battling strong waves and ridiculous undertow.
Ron

flydoc
03-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Jamie- Yes, it does vary between states. I have the good fortune to live in East Harwich, just a stone's throw from Chatham, where the saltwater fishing is FREE (if you exclude the $10 boat trip out to South Beach/Monomoy). However, I'm heading down to the Sarasota, Florida area on May 13 to hang out with my parents and try my hand at flats fishing for snook and seatrout; I had to spend $20 online to get a one week saltwater license for Florida! Since you did spend the money for the freshwater license, I would recommend bringing a 4-5 weight rod and some freshwater flies to fish for trout in the ponds in Nickerson Park in Brewster (Cliff, Little Cliff, or Higgins- the last pond is catch and release...).
Hope that helps!
Jim Shepherd, M.D.:eyecrazy:

jamie
03-03-2004, 10:37 AM
Ron, I spent a few hours with a map yesterday evening looking at the 7 mile + sand spit south of Chatham, looks :eyecrazy: really fishy even on a map. I think the good lady is going to spending many an hour researching family records to trace her US ancestors who where either whaling captains or Union/US Navy officers, round New Bedford, Nantucket (sp?) and Plymouth. This should free up some days on beach for fishing.

Jim, I'm a trout man at heart and will make sure I have a 5 weight with me. Have noticed quite a few ponds and lakes in the Delorme state map, which look like good prospects. There does not see to be much by way of river fishing unless you head inland?

thanks,

Jamie

jamie
03-03-2004, 10:42 AM
By way of a PS, whilst looking through maps of the area, I have been having quite a chuckle at the English names a lot of the places in and around the Cape have. Though here we spell Barnstable - Barnstaple, and it a fair ways from Chatham.

Although I did have my first outing of the year to the salt a few weeks ago in a place called Folkestone which is not too far from Chatham. Our Chatham is not quite a nice though.

Adrian
03-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Yes, the proliferation of English town names is amusing - I grew up in Braunton, 5 miles West of Barnstaple. I now live near Danbury CT which is nothing at all like Danbury Essex (oh and by the way, Essex is a town in CT as is Kent). Confused:eyecrazy:

Hope to catch up with you when you get over here - I don't get back to the old country much these days.

jamie
03-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Adrian
Yes, the proliferation of English town names is amusing - I grew up in Braunton, 5 miles West of Barnstaple. I now live near Danbury CT which is nothing at all like Danbury Essex (oh and by the way, Essex is a town in CT as is Kent). Confused:eyecrazy:

Hope to catch up with you when you get over here - I don't get back to the old country much these days. It is a recipe for getting very lost and quite confused.

flydoc
03-03-2004, 01:38 PM
They don't call it "New England" for nothing....my mother's ancestors came over quite early, and (based on her aunt's research) one was hung as a witch during the famous hysteria in Salem Village (now Danvers).
As far as stream fishing for trout, most of the good waters are further west, especially the Swift River below the Quabbin Reservoir Dam (about a 3 hour drive west of Cape Cod). I used to live in Worcester (another good English name), which is about 90 minutes east of there, so I fished there alot before I moved to the Cape.
Jim Shepherd :whoa: