A Lesson for Me - A Reminder for You [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: A Lesson for Me - A Reminder for You

FlyMan
07-24-2001, 09:13 PM
Just got back from my first weekend of fishing after having taken lessons recently. A friend took me to the Kennebec just below Shawmut Dam in Maine. It was around 6:30 pm and the weather was great. The water was deep and the current pretty fast, at least for someone as "green" as me. To put it mildly, I was kind of nervous.

When we got back to the house, we decided to check the flow rate on-line and found that it was 7000 cubic feet per second - more than TWICE the volume it normally is.

The lesson learned? Check the flow rate on such a river BEFORE you go. I know this may be basic stuff for most of you but it did escape my friend, and I simply didn't know better.

How was the fishing you ask? My luck wasn't great, but others did pretty well. There were fish rising all around and as close as 3 feet away. Others called it an "unbelievable hatch".

John Desjardins
07-24-2001, 10:16 PM
You raise a good point about checking the flows before fishing. One problem I have had is not knowing what is a fishable level on the first trip to a river. Anyone interested in posting their opinions on fishable water levels? If there are enough I volunteer to compile them into a list & post.

My starting data point, which I know very well:
USGS station #01096000, Squanacook river, West Groton, MA - any stage under 3 feet is fishable, I prefer under 2.5 feet. Sorry I remember it in terms of height rather then volume.

If there is interest I will take a look at the archived data for some other rivers and figure out levels & flows for a few other rivers.