Spring Clave 2004 [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Spring Clave 2004

juro
02-28-2004, 03:07 PM
Remember the spring clave of 2001? What a blast and plenty of fish too.

We did it here:

http://anchorageoncove.com/lodge.htm

I would like to do it again in 2004, to coordinate with Sean's visit from Seattle to the Cape for a wedding in mid-May. Either weekend would work, he's here from the 8th to the 16th.

Other options include:

- Camping at Nickerson
- Local hotels with low off-season rates
- Shared cottage rental

Additional ideas are welcome.

I will throw in a two-handed "hands on" session with plenty of Atlantis rods to go around for one of the days.

I'm sure we can get other events going as well from our friends who are shop owners and guides in the area.

Tying stations are a must.

But the best part is the shenanigans with the gang and of course the return of the long awaited fishing!

I need volunteers to participate in the planning committee! Let's make it the best spring clave ever... it's sure been a nasty winter, we deserve it!

doug
02-28-2004, 05:00 PM
If there is a boat ramp nearby...and someone( or two) sorta kinda knows the area, I may consider joining in and offering up a seat or two for a boat trip for one day.
I'll try to keep an eye on this thread.
Doug B.

JimW
02-28-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm leaning towards the 2nd weekend if it makes for better fishing. Didn't make that Spring clave at the anchorage but it looked like a good time.

Houses right on the water! What's the cost on that? The camping wouldn't be bad either if the weather is good.

Is it a boat or shore thing?

I should be able to handle the signup sheet if we need one.

doogue
02-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Juro,

Spring Clave 2001 was a great time. You just cannot beat the location at the Anchorage. There was something so sweet about the ample schoolies right behind the Anchorage in 2001. I know that some guys had almost 20 schoolies to hand on the first night of that Clave.

I would be more than willing to help out with the logistics of the Clave.

Looking forward to Spring!

-Mike

bonefishmon
02-29-2004, 06:33 PM
I like to help out. Please let me know where help is needed and I'll plan to be there.

Phil

Arthur Robert
02-29-2004, 09:46 PM
I would like very much to attend my first clave and meet some of the fishermen that post all the interesting imformation on the forum. The Anchorage seems like a nice place to work out of. Will this be a 2, 3, or more day adventure?

juro
03-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Anchorage did not have the ability to put up more than a dozen participants, so I think we should consider other options.

Can we get a show of hands - people who would be looking for lodging on Friday, Saturday nights in mid-May when we do this clave?

We could do either weekend. The second would be better fishing most likely as Jim pointed out - Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the latter weekend for increased presence of fish, although Sean is leaving on Sunday and I have a family event in Boston. I would have been at the Sandy River Clave in Portland OR but I wouldn't dream of missing my daughter's graduation ceremony and must be in town that weekend.

Does anyone want to co-meister this event? I will co-meister since I instigated.

JimW - it should be a no-holds barred boat and shore event, I will gladly provide what I can for spring shore hotspots for anyone interested and it's a given that boaters will rule the seas especially the sound side, Pleasant Bay and the Barnstable to Brewster areas in the vicinity of herring runs, etc. I think we can spread out and save the crowding for dinners, barbeques, and brewski times - like the way we do the Boneclaves.

We could consider a group site at Nickerson, or an off-season hotel group discount which I think I can pull off with a friend in the business.

Before Memorial Day we have some great options worth exploring...

Adrian
03-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Depends which week-end. Striper moonies have a bash on 15th/16th which I'm headed to. I'll probably end up making my own acoom arrangements.

I guess you know spring is coming when the diary starts to fill up :D

Dble Haul
03-01-2004, 10:13 AM
I'm probably busy as well, chasing pike on Lake Ontario backwaters. If not, then I'm staying close to home and shoring up some more points for when I do go. ;)

flyfisha1
03-01-2004, 11:58 AM
I'd love to attend, however can only make it during the weekend of the 8th. If it's the other weekend, no big deal, I'm sure to see some of you on the water before the end of the year.

kennebecfly
03-01-2004, 03:19 PM
IM in, I think my bro. and I will be there that week any how Will check with him.......

rooster
03-01-2004, 10:23 PM
Which "second weekend in May" are we talking about? Sat. May 8 is the second weekend. Is that the date? If it is that weekend I can assist with cooking up a bunch of elk carne' asada and whatever. Let me know the dates. I may also have some other folks who can help. I have put up groups at the Huntsman Hotel on Rt 28 in W. Dennis, decent place, good rates, if folks are looking for an overflow from the Anchorage.
Cheers,
DK
aka rooster:chuckle:

Penguin
03-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Holiday Hills is another cost effective alternative worth considering. Easy access to the Bass River and the south side.
SO MANY OPTIONS! so little time...:eyecrazy:

Skiman
03-03-2004, 12:15 PM
I have never been to one of these claves but It sounds like a terrific time. Count me in. I am fine with camping at Nickerson if there are others interested. I can hardly wait to get back fishing. The skiing this winter has been pretty good but the pull of the water is beginning to take over.

Chris
03-05-2004, 08:20 AM
I will most definately will be there again. The Anchorage was a great time. I guess I'll have to come up with some software to make decals after all the clave 2001 stickers were a hit and I'm not getting artwork.
I was thinking if we end up camping then we might consider Sweatwater ( I think that's it). Drew and I stayed there last year and it was a nice place. Also, for those who like a snort of pogey oil or a beer there are no restrictions like at the state campgrounds as it's private. Where as at Nickerson that's definately out. Not a priority of mine, although a beer is always a nice option. Just something to consider.

fliboy
03-07-2004, 04:52 PM
I would like to repeat that at the Anchorage, as it was a blast in 2001. If they can't accomodate, then I'm for another place. I'd go for the second week in May also - it looks like a few are saying that's better, although I should be able to make the other week also.

TL,

Dave

Dad
03-10-2004, 10:35 AM
It seems that those who were fortunate enough to attend the 2001 clave would like a repeat. The tides might not be the best for any dates open at the Anchorage, but camaradie might make up for the less than perfect tides. Just my 2 cents but a show of hands might make this fly.......

juro
03-10-2004, 11:34 AM
DOH! You snooze you lose!

Anchorage was too booked to take us BUT....

I have already secured an agreement for arrangements on rte 28 on the Chatham line for double occupancy rooms in spankin' newly renovated rooms with a big Sat PM dinner all inclusive for $60 per head, two nights stay (Friday, Saturday).

$35 for a saturday night only with dinner.

There will also be a tying night after dinner and a drawing to see who gets the season start kit - one fly from each participant in a box, winning ticket drawn from a hat.

This location is only a few minutes from the lighthouse. We need at least 20 confirmed people to pull off this off.

Make it 19, I am confirmed as in for two nights.

* please do not say you're in if there is any doubt - we do not want to get messed up with the deposits etc. Wait until you talk to your wife first :devil:

jared
03-10-2004, 01:17 PM
Just running the thread....was there ever a definitive decision/posting on the date????

(difficult to check against the family calendar w/o it)

thanks!

-j

juro
03-10-2004, 04:19 PM
It was still being discussed but to your point...

Criteria:

- We want to welcome Sean to his first striper fling

- We want to find fish

- We want it to be on a weekend

- We need at least 20 people to make it work

- It will be on the Cape

- We need one good social / dinner night included

Sean - which days will you have open during your visit?

BigDave
03-10-2004, 04:30 PM
I'd like to join in the fishing and social but already have plans for lodging.

See you on the elbow!

FishHawk
03-11-2004, 07:13 AM
I will let you know next week . Would stay on Sat. eve. Sounds like a blast. FishHawk. :D

Chris
03-11-2004, 06:15 PM
I am a definite for either weekend, Friday and Saturday. I didn't catch witch it was going to be May 7 + 8 or May 14 + 15?

juro
03-11-2004, 06:37 PM
May 14th, Friday:
- Fishing for those who play hooky
- Webmaster's Dinner Friday night at hotel or CAC(?) - $10/person
Probably a New England style cookout, something like:
- chips and veggie snacks
- steamers or stuffed quahogs
- salad
- corn on the cob
- baked potato or pilaf
- marinated chicken and sirloin kabobs
- dessert
- Discount Lodging Friday - $25 per person double occupancy

Total for Webmaster's Dinner and lodging Friday night = $35.00 inclusive.

May 15th, Saturday
- Hardcore fishing day
- Lodging available at $25 / person double occupancy again

... I need to head back for my daughter's graduation, but arrangements for discounted lodging will be available for those who want to stay Saturday night in Chatham.

May 16th, Sunday
- Hardcore fishing day

striblue
03-11-2004, 10:17 PM
CAC will be available for whatever is decided....Fly tying, Dinner, Got plenty of wood for the fireplace and will get some of the latest Movies for any late nighters who don't fish. Cigars and drinking (not me though) Juro's scotch out of antique Chatham Bars Inn coffee mugs... as is the usual.:hehe:

Chris
03-12-2004, 08:14 AM
I just locked in the 14th off from work so look for me there boys.

juro
03-12-2004, 08:27 AM
Based on a quick count we're already looking very good for this event.

Keep in mind that Sean the Forum's webmaster from Seattle will be in our midst, in fact the Friday night cookout will be to initiate him into the CAC along with Kush and Doublespey, also of Pacific Northwest origin.

striblue
03-12-2004, 08:51 AM
AH Yes! The Fez!

jared
03-12-2004, 01:41 PM
14th looks pretty good for me as well...however the weekend is looking iffy...'rents in town and #1's dance recital on Sunday might cause issues.

Will know more once we get closer, but with any luck, I should be able to drag myself (and boat) down for Friday.

-j

"CAC"???? What's a "CAC"????

Chris
03-12-2004, 01:59 PM
John,
I want just make sure we have photos from the induction procedings. You know posterity and all...

juro
03-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Jared -

Sounds good! The C.A.C is the "chatham angler's club", a nick name I gave to John Morin's den of fishing eniquity the moment I walked in the door the first time. It kinda stuck, as it is truly a monument to the angler's lifestyle and should be on the short list of attractions for every angler visiting Chatham.

Here is a picture of the recent official naming ceremony...

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?threadid=5934

rooster
03-12-2004, 08:24 PM
If folks are "out and about" the weekend of 5/7-8, a few of us will be attempting to "catch em all" before the Springclave arrives.
Cant' make the 14th, but if folks plan to be "on the water" the weekend of 5/7 let me know and I can thrill you with all the lies I have learned all winter!
Hope to see a few of you salty dogs in May!!
Cheers,
Rooster:rolleyes:

kennebecfly
03-15-2004, 07:17 AM
Count me in for the 14,15 I will be comeing down with Chris looking foward to it!!:D

juro
03-15-2004, 06:26 PM
Wonder if Chatham Fish & Lobster Co. or another local firm would cater an New England Clambake for us on Friday. I'll contact them and get a price per head.

Dave17
03-15-2004, 07:13 PM
I'm in for the 14th and 15th. Can't stay Saturday night.

TinMan
03-16-2004, 08:15 PM
These guys did a fantastic job as a friend's wedding in Newport. Blew me away!

http://www.riclambake.com/

FishHawk
03-17-2004, 07:52 AM
I, m in for the 14 and will leave on the 15 after the dinner. Should be a blast. FishHawk:D

Arthur Robert
03-17-2004, 08:00 PM
This topic shows 36 replies. Only 13-14 show up on my screen; the last one being from Crhis on 3-5-04. How do I get to see the replies from 3-5-04 to date? There are over 20 replies that I would like to see. The reason being is I would like to plan to attend and need the imformation.THANKS

juro
03-18-2004, 09:35 AM
Arthur...

Look for the little link that says...

Pages (2): 1 [2]

to read the rest.

Juro

Capt. Art
03-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Juro.
Count me and my boat in for both days. It will be great seeing you guys again.

FrankF
03-20-2004, 09:06 PM
If there is still room, I am in for the 14th,15th, & 16th. This would be my first clave...I am looking forward to it. It has been a long winter.

Frank Feger

striblue
03-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Frank... there is always room... watch for the sign up . I suspect juro might put something up later this month.

juro
03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
The webmeister from Seattle is confirmed for Friday night follies.. John prepare the fez :hehe:

Tod D
03-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Depending upon what time my son's baseball game is Sat, I'm in for Sat fishing & will stay around for dinner before heading back to the West shore of CC bay.

rooster
03-25-2004, 07:12 PM
Thank God for schedule changes!!!!
Our clients rescheduled their east coast meeting and I will now be able to attend my first springclave!
Juro, sign Walt and I up for the clam feed for the Friday Night. Looking forward to seeing everyone then. If things go real well I might still be able to fish the weekend 8th, also.
Look forward to seeing everyone again.
Cheers,
DK

FishHawk
03-26-2004, 04:40 PM
My friend Dick Ivers will be joining me on the Clave for Fri. night. We will both only be staying for one night. Can't wait for the action. Should be a great Clave as usual.
FishHawk:D

Skiman
03-28-2004, 09:45 PM
The season is almost upon us! Sign me up for the clam bake on friday the 14th and I will be leaving after dinner on Saturday the 15th. This is my first Clave and I am looking forward to this. This should be Big Fun.

See you all at the Clave.

Skiman

Hawkeye
04-06-2004, 03:28 PM
I'll day trip it on the 15th and hopefully be bringing the LUCKY SKUNK with me.

IronMike
04-06-2004, 03:41 PM
I'll bring the bananas.

:devil:

Roop
04-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Finally cleared the schedule - I'm in for Saturday and Sunday will bring the boat.

I can take two guests - we'll figure out who when we get closer.

Looking forward to it.

Roop

juro
04-14-2004, 12:23 PM
Great stuff!

Looking like a good one to kick off the year in style.

Just wanted to remind people that:

1) We are clavin' Friday, Saturday and Sunday but Sean is attending a wedding Sunday and I am attending my daughter's graduation. That should not affect anyone elses plans of course!

2) Dinner will be Friday night either on the primo hotel grounds (pool, BBQ, etc) or someone close by. Clam bake is sounding better all the time.

3) We will have an "official" sign up sheet going up any day now.

There is no fee but the hotel will cost $25 per person two in a room, nice rooms minutes from the lighthouse on rte 28.

Jimmy
04-22-2004, 03:50 PM
sounds great! My slate is cleared!!! :D Looking forward to the entire weekend.

mikez
04-22-2004, 08:33 PM
How many guys are signed up?
This is peaking my interest. Price is right, sounds fun.
Is there any deadline to get signed up? I have transportation issues which may not be resolved right away. I'm getting tempted but don't want to sign on and bail at the last minute. I'd rather not sign on until I'm sure I'll make it.

I really like the catered meal idea. As fun as the cooking is at the Boneclaves, it might feel nice to be served your meal. Retireing to a cozy hotel room after has appeal to me too. Damn I'm gettin old! [Don't tell my wife! She thinks I won't take her on fishing trips with me because I know she hates to camp.;) ]

Hawkeye
04-24-2004, 07:58 AM
Darn, Darn, Darn!!!! I've got to back out. Schedule changes that have helped others have zapped me from the attendance list. Have fun guys, I'll be thinking of you!

Bigcat
04-25-2004, 01:23 PM
I hope to be around for at least one day,and will have room for one on the boat:smokin:

striblue
04-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Looking forward to seeing you John