New LL Bean Stripping Basket [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New LL Bean Stripping Basket

rooster
02-28-2004, 01:43 AM
I was wondering if anyone had bought or used the new LL Bean $20 stripping basket that they are advertising. It looked like a pretty decent basket, in the catalog.
Any comments appreciated.
Cheers,
Rooster
PS. Spring has sprung out here, apricots and almond are starting to bloom. Look forward to heading to New England as soon as it thaws!

juro
02-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Rooster -

I've checked it out and there was also a thread on it a while back.

I think it's just as good as Orvis or better for half the price. Shaped nicely to fit the beer belly. Great rod slot, nice cones, beefy strap. I like the neutral color as well. Great price. The positives go on and on, only a few negatives.

It's quite heavy and very stiff and it does not have certain features I want in a basket.

I don't think it has any more capacity to offer over the Orvis in terms of line handling.

It fails my shoelace test. Put the basket on and try to touch your toes, unravel the running line from your feet, reach for a striper, etc, etc. Too restrictive, just like the Orvis basket.

Feels like too much apparatus. When compared to the standard rubbermaid, it's like wearing a boat.

I will however pick up a couple as spares or loaners at that price.

.02 FWIW

FishHawk
02-28-2004, 10:58 AM
I got one, couldn't see spending $40 for the Orvis. I put my basket on my left side that's how I ware my baskets. I would get one it's a nice product. Just my .02
FishHawk:smokin:

rooster
02-29-2004, 08:41 PM
Thanks Guys.
Hope all is going well. Spring is starting out here, hope it warms up in your parts of the world shortly.
All the best.
DK

fredaevans
02-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Anyone used these for spey casting? Thinking about short head lines with a ton of 'shooting line' behind for loooog casting. (Think heavy sink tips.)