Photochromic Lenses [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Photochromic Lenses

Smcdermott
02-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Does anyone have experience with the Action Optics photochromic lenses? I have been very hesitent to get a pair thinking that I don't want my lenses changing color when I am sight fishing. I just felt like it can be tough enough to spot on some days w/o adding another factor to the mix. However, not many people seem to be stocking the standard lenses and a lot of shop owners are saying the reason is the photochromic are just a better lense. Before I take the plunge I would love some un-biased feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

juro
02-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Sean -

I would definitely call the 800 number -

http://flyfishingforum.com/advertising/sponsorlist.htm

I had the pleasure of speaking directly to the president when I called about lens colors, and it was educational to say the least. I was very impressed with the knowledge of their staff from the top down and have been thinking about doing an interview for the Expertise section.

sean
02-27-2004, 03:48 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that the color change is not very dramatic. I think it is only something like a 10% darkening of the lenses. Nothing like those glasses people wore in the 80s that turned from clear to really dark with a little sunlight.

I have actually never noticed a change in tint with mine :rolleyes: I think that is actually the point with these glasses. Very subtle change that benefits your eyes throughout the day without you really noticing.

I like mine alot and really I am not sure the photochromatics are all that much better than my previous AO glasses...they all rock.

-sean