value of these reels [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: value of these reels

oliver
02-26-2004, 09:02 PM
A friend of mine picked up a few flyreels at a garage sale and would like to know if they are worth anything.
The first reel, which is red in colour:
O REN-O-MATIC
made in the U.S.A.
Balanced Reel
No. 1140
Model D

SOUTH BEND
Reel two in black:
On the side:
Pat. applied for

MARTIN
AUT.
FISH REEL
MOWHALK N.Y.

Third reel in green:
Same as the secpmd, just green in colour.

Fourth reel is a hand wind with 3 holes on one side, and the other side is: OCEAN CITY
AUTOMATIC
PHILLADELPHIA

Steve_sullivan
10-11-2004, 03:45 AM
A friend of mine picked up a few flyreels at a garage sale and would like to know if they are worth anything.

They are absolutely worth something....

The first reel, which is red in colour:
O REN-O-MATIC
made in the U.S.A.
Balanced Reel
No. 1140
Model D

Check out http://www.south-bend.com/

SOUTH BEND
Reel two in black:
On the side:
Pat. applied for

Check out http://www.south-bend.com/

MARTIN
AUT.
FISH REEL
MOWHALK N.Y.

Check out www.martinfishing.com/

Third reel in green:
Same as the secpmd, just green in colour.

Check out www.martinfishing.com/

PHILLADELPHIA

Bottom line, yes, these are worth money. Now, how much? A couple hundred penies. Heck, I wouldnt even use a automatic reel if you gave me one. Tell your friend to look for the word "Hardy" and above all tell your friend AVOID AUTOMATIC REELS, THEY ARE JUNK!!

MJC
10-11-2004, 05:20 AM
and above all tell your friend AVOID AUTOMATIC REELS, THEY ARE JUNK!!

You are most certainly entitled to your opinion but I know lots of old timers and a few not so old that think auto reels worked just fine for creek trout or fishing bass bugs out of a boat. I have one old Perrine that I bought used for $5.00 that is the veteran of several hundred trout out of the Clearwater with zero problems. I have several sitting around in my shop that sells mostly spey rods and they get a great deal of attention from my visitors. Would I use one to fish for steelhead or other long running fish? No I would not however that doesn't make them junk. They can be the basis for a great fly reel collection with low economic impact on a persons budget.

Steve_sullivan
10-12-2004, 03:36 AM
You are most certainly entitled to your opinion but I know lots of old timers and a few not so old that think auto reels worked just fine for creek trout or fishing bass bugs out of a boat. I have one old Perrine that I bought used for $5.00 that is the veteran of several hundred trout out of the Clearwater with zero problems. I have several sitting around in my shop that sells mostly spey rods and they get a great deal of attention from my visitors. Would I use one to fish for steelhead or other long running fish? No I would not however that doesn't make them junk. They can be the basis for a great fly reel collection with low economic impact on a persons budget.

Ok, instead of saying they are worth 100 pennies I will say they are worth 500 pennies. I still wouldnt use one tho. They are heavy as hell, and dont go very well with a 5 weight rod you would use on a small trout stream. And that is assuming one is paying $5 for one. If one is paying $25 for one, get something like a okuma sierra for the same price. Light, and has a decent drag. Heck, I caught a bunch of king salmon on a sierra 7/8 between 20 and 32 pounds.