Not to be the oddball, but [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Not to be the oddball, but

tglynos
02-25-2004, 12:56 PM
Unfortunatley I have neither the space or skill to tie my own flies as of yet, but I do want to have a chance to snag a striper or two this spring. Does anybody have any suggestions on places to buy ready made flies for the Jersey coast (either websites or local shops). Much appreciated.

Dave17
02-25-2004, 01:04 PM
I'm in the same boat. I just put in an order with saltwaterflies.com. They looked like they were high quality (a little pricey though) and offered many of the patterns that I'm familiar with using already. I'll let you know what they look like when I get them.

Dave

JimW
02-25-2004, 01:58 PM
You might keep an eye out here for an upcoming auction. I cannot say for sure but the idea has been kicked around.

tglynos
02-25-2004, 02:58 PM
thanks for the tips, I'll keep my eye out for the auction. Please let me know how those saltwater flies work out for you. If there good, I will order also. Thanks again

Sandflee
02-25-2004, 03:48 PM
Have you ever considered buying from local tyers, what are you interested in ordering, i'm sure i could fill small orders and it would be quality work

Dave17
02-25-2004, 04:14 PM
Sandflee,

I would be very interested in buying from local tyers. I'm looking to stock up for this season. If you'd be interested I'd like to see what you have in your bag of tricks. I'm specifically in need of south beach / monomoy / south shore patterns (sand eels, deceivers, Clousers, herring patterns, etc). Let me know what you think.

Dave

Sandflee
02-25-2004, 04:30 PM
Dave sent ya a PM.

Sandflee
02-25-2004, 04:40 PM
heres and example of a candy.

JimW
02-25-2004, 04:57 PM
I would encourage those that enjoy this site to support our sponsors whenever possible. If you are interested in Monomoy flies I'd recommend Fishing the cape. Since they might know the hot pattern at the particular time you are on the cape it's well worth paying them a visit.

http://www.fishingthecape.com

They claim to have over 10,000 flies in stock and they are just a short drive from the promised land.

Dave17
02-25-2004, 05:03 PM
JimW

How do I access the list of sponsors? I've learned a lot on this sight and want to give credit where credit is due.

Dave17

tglynos
02-25-2004, 11:44 PM
I would also like to support the sponsers as much as possible as well. Are there local fly shops in Jersey which are sponsers? I have been to tight lines in Pine Brook. they are great and I believe that they are sponsers, but how about shops towards the coast? Also, sandflee, I would be interested in buying from local tyers. The flies that I am most interested in are the standards(surf candy, deceivers, clousers, half and halfs and jiggy flies). I also would love to get my hands on some silicone mullets.

Dble Haul
02-26-2004, 08:53 AM
You can access our list of sponsors from the flyfishingforum.com home page. Just click on the button titled "We Love Our Sponsors!" and browse at your convenience.

I would like to reiterate what Jim has said about supporting the site's sponsors. Without them, we wouldn't be here.

JimW
02-26-2004, 09:07 AM
That link is right at the top of this page too, just under the FlyFishingForum logo.

Here's a direct link.

http://flyfishingforum.com/advertising/sponsorlist.htm

juro
02-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Hear hear! Also, there is a link to the sponsor page at the top left of this and every flytalk page (under the logo).

Since you're from Jersey, talk to Tightlines Fly Fishing in Pine Brook. They have agreed to a sponsorship for us recently.

Sandflee
02-26-2004, 09:53 AM
sorry not trying to cause any problems, i too suggest u support the sponsors without them these sites would not be possible.

tglynos
02-26-2004, 03:06 PM
I guess that the sponser page was pretty obvious:p . Juro, I have already visited tight Lines and although very helpful and knowledgeable with a great selection of most anything, I didn't really find exactly what I was looking for in regards to actual saltwater flies. In that case I thought that there may be either a sponser or favorite shop close to the Jersey shore which might have a better selection, or website. I didn't seem to find one on the sponser page. Anyone have any suggestions??

JimW
02-26-2004, 03:22 PM
I don't know what you timeframe is but I have a feeling there will be some flies on the auction block in a few weeks.

Striper
02-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Just my .02 worth but you will find that alot of what you will buy is not exactly what you want or quality you expect. The other thing is that buying compared with tying is going to be very expensive, couple that with toothy critters and your bill will rise quickly. There are many knowledgeable people here who are more than willing to provide guidance when needed. I suggest you go out and get a cheap vise to start with and just spin some feathers, you can get started tying in a short period of time and then it is a matter of just practice interspersed with get togethers and shows you will be tying like a pro in no time. Tying your own flies is very rewarding and it will save you money in the long run, and it won't hurt the sponsors because you still have to buy materials (a never ending affair) so the sooner you get started the better. I stunk when I started, still do, but my flies catch fish and that is what I am after, some folks here i.e. John Morin, are absolute artists tying feathers and swishing epoxy. I am more of a means to an end fly tier, won't catch fisherman but will catch fish:D .

Mike M.

striblue
02-26-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanks Mike... One of the reasons I started tying was that when I hit on a great fly..... I sometimes had a hard time finding it again.. I used Harry Koon's Rat's Arse almost exclusively for one season.. even caught my biggest stripper on it... 45 inches.... and I would easily buy them at Goose Hummock... them Pffft! Harry does not suply flies to Goose Hummock because he stopped working there... Opened up his own shop but it took a while from what I remember... so I am really running low on the fly.... then I see a bunch at Goose hummock, which were the sale binn..not all chartreuse...so I buy them all....but later in the fall , I think, I learned to tye... and really never worry about whether I can get certain flies I need. I would have certainly missed out on using Juro's deep eel... had I not learned to tye them because they were not for sale anywhere.... Now, all the flies I use are my own and the styles are basically still not for sale

Slinger
02-27-2004, 12:52 PM
Sending mail and getting replys as I type. Hope to put together a good auction by the end of March.
Steve