Flounder Around - New Top Feather [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Flounder Around - New Top Feather

striblue
02-25-2004, 12:47 AM
After more searching I have now done away with the Mallard Flanks feather and have switched the top of this fly with Micro Fleck Turkey flats feathers. The photo shows the feather along side a new flounder around in the beginning process of completion. The feather on the fly is creme color and the full feather next to it is Tan. These feathers are the more realitic than the mallard flank which you can see for yourself. Easy to put on to and easy to trim. They are fuller to give the entire fin shape I want.

striblue
02-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Here is what the Final fly looks like.........

flyfisha1
02-26-2004, 08:35 AM
John - How much time have you had to devote to fishing these patterns? I imagine that they'd do well for flounder and fluke as well as for stripers, since both the former are canibalistic.

striblue
02-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Not as much as I would have liked... always fall into habits and set patterns unfortunately...but I will be fishing this and more shrimp and crab this year...plus some of Juro's Deep eels done with little flash as he does... and that will be about it... that is mid summer I am talking about.

flyfisha1
02-26-2004, 08:55 AM
I can understand what you're saying about habits; I'm really starting to get into tying and fishing streamers in freshwater and am paying little attention to insect-patterns (dries, wets, nymphs, and so on) so I'm going to try and fish streamers almost exclusively this season. I may not catch as many fish, but those that I do catch will be more special simply for the fact that I enjoy using streamers more than anything else in freshwater.

Dble Haul
02-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Chris- By fishing just streamers, you may not catch as many fish but they should be larger on average.

John- If I make it to the Norwalk flats this season (maybe) or when I get to some flats in RI (definitely), I will be giving this pattern a thorough workout when appropriate.

Details to follow later in the year. ;)