It's monday and I'm already jonesin' [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: It's monday and I'm already jonesin'

juro
07-09-2001, 04:30 PM
WOW! I thought I was out of control in the winter. I've been going out of my mind at work today. Seeing that bright water dancing on the sugar white sands, a mix of ocean bright dark backed cows and stealthy blondie bass cruising over the sandy humps in mid-day bright sunshine, casting to swing the fly on an intercepting path >sigh<

Then a cold, fall-like day with wind and rain and a hint of thunderstorms looming on the horizon, the outgoing tide flushing bait over a knee deep shoal so that the birds are diving right next to me, surrounding me without a care about my presence as the bait drops over the lip of the shelf into a deep trough packed with big bass waiting to maul the unsuspecting bait... or fly.

Man. I got it bad!

Tod D
07-09-2001, 04:33 PM
I hear you. My office overlooks the hahba (tough, I know). Five times today I happened to look out to see a cc drifting through the harbor ferries, under birds,while those on board casted to crashing fish...

SOLO
07-09-2001, 06:10 PM
Juro...All you need to get some relief is to smear on some industrial strength SKUNK smell...I've got some left from my last adventure and would be glad to share it with you.
If you didn't catch SO MANY keepers you would be much less "affected"...but then again, you wouldn't be the ninja
JUROMEISTER!

juro
07-09-2001, 06:16 PM
You're gonna jinx me Pete! Let's talk about the bad skunking I took the other day. Couldn't touch a fish, went to the market and they were out. No tuna fish on the grocery shelf, man it was b-a-a-d!

striblue
07-09-2001, 08:14 PM
First day back at work and all I do is stare at my jar full of rocks and shells I picked on South Monomoy last year. I pick one out of the jar when nobody is looking and say .. "you were there... I was there too". WILSON! WILSON! I'M sorry.

Lefty
07-09-2001, 08:31 PM
Tell me about it. I spent the day scheeming (in between work, mowing the lawn, and a little house painting). Finally might have a plan with Grego for wednesday, yuk yuk. None of this wait for the weekend crap, I'm too far gone to wait.

http://www.gifs.net/animate/crazy.gif

As for Juro skunkings- only one way. Send me across the Sagamore bridge. Works almost every time. We're going to smash that one though, right Juro?

Lefty

jborkowski
07-09-2001, 08:55 PM
Tried to teach someone how to cast in the office today.

In case you were wondering...not a good idea.

juro
07-10-2001, 07:37 AM
IN the office, literally??

DFix
07-10-2001, 08:10 AM
jborkowski (07-09-2001 09:55 p.m.):
Tried to teach someone how to cast in the office today.

In case you were wondering...not a good idea.

...requires further explanation unless you were teaching low sling under brush techniques - gotta be careful of those ceiling tile tracks, the manufacturers wouldn't understand "gee, I didn't think the tiles in the ceiling were that hard" ;)

John Desjardins
07-10-2001, 09:22 AM
I've done the indoors casting before; rod tip only & yarn for a line while kneeling on a floor. It's similar to what Joan Wulff sells as a learning tool.

H'mm I should try it in the kitchen. The ceiling fan would be an interesting catch :).

jborkowski
07-10-2001, 12:54 PM
Literally. When you gots it bad, you gots it bad. This weekday work bull$#@ is killing me.

I work in an old factory building with high ceilings.

Only problem...they're not quite as high as I thought.

jborkowski
07-10-2001, 04:04 PM
jk...incidentally.

I actually happen to love where I work.

Simply, there are several folks in the office who want to see what it's all about. And hey...my casting needs all the practice it can get, even (and especially) if it that practice does happen to come at an inopportune time.

DFix
07-11-2001, 09:09 AM
jborkowski (07-10-2001 05:04 p.m.):
jk...incidentally.

I actually happen to love where I work.

Simply, there are several folks in the office who want to see what it's all about. And hey...my casting needs all the practice it can get, even (and especially) if it that practice does happen to come at an inopportune time.

Your luck had better be good enuff to have the boss as one of your students, or you'll end up like that stupid tv commercial where the kids are making fun of the boss - and get caught -

too bad about the lower than expected ceiling height - although if you break the rod tip enough times, you might get close to a lifting tool. Then you could go out and lever a tuna fly around ;D

as an aside -
I happened by the local "pay no attention to it (yeah, right - it's loaded with enough stuff to put ME in awe)" pond last night to discover a kid standing there and absolutely FLAILING with an old glass wand, old Pflueger and some old dry line on it. How do I know it was a Pflueger and dry line? I'm glad you asked ;D

I swung around, asked if I could help him with a couple things, and spent a half-hour working with the kid. He said this was the very first time he'd ever touched a fly rod - boy I wouldn't have wanted to be behind this kid if he was chopping wood, I tell ya. He had a full 180 degree swing arc from ground front to ground behind.

I asked if he was a local boy; he said from the next town. He asked if I taught casting; I didn't beat my chest. He looked at the mechanics of what I was doing, of how it felt to him when I had him do it, and how it felt when I helped him. He understood it within the half-hour, but it's gonna take him a little time to get the feel.

We parted with the hope of crossing paths again. I felt so GOOD afterward. It reminded me of learning, of fishing the nearby lake with my grandfather (where I got my one and only ear-piercing, thanks to his awesome :D casting technique) - of running Merit Badge classes and having kids come to me for their merit badge quals at summer camp or wherever. I have to say, the statement about spending time with a kid is so true - it gives you perspective you've long forgotten about, whether it's fulfilling or exasperating doesn't matter. Every so often it's nice to be able to give back and know it's appreciated. It's especially rewarding.

I also didn't have one lick of my own tackle in the truck, dammit :-( - that won't happen too many more times.

juro
07-11-2001, 09:45 AM
Kudos Dave -

I was inspired by reading about your deed. I hope we can all give a little back this season.

thanks,
Juro

jared
07-11-2001, 10:31 AM
at least you guys (and gals) have been out more than a 3 times this year....talk about JONESIN'!!!!

(but it's looking like I'll have 2 free weekends in the beginning of August...should probably start saturating with caffeine NOW!)

--jared

juro
07-11-2001, 11:20 AM
Look forward to fishing with you Jared! Let's do the sight thing on the flats when you can break free.

jared
07-11-2001, 11:41 AM
sounds good Juro...i'll give you a call when that happens!

--jared

DFix
07-12-2001, 09:51 AM
Jared, you've been out one more than I.