posts with names who are not sponsors [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: posts with names who are not sponsors

paul locke
02-22-2004, 03:08 PM
i am in difficulty with the sponsor rules. i can see the principle but find the application hard to understand. i am making a point of avoiding any precise reference to any one i dont know is a sponsor as i dont want to fall foul of rules, but i think it detracts from stories. any how can someone explain why clan rods is nono butB&W, and berkheimer are constantly mentioned without wrath coming down when i cant find any of them under sponsors. what is the difference? is it the dreaded URLs again?

fredaevans
02-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Juro, et. al. will correct me if I'm too simple.

It's ok to 'name-names,' what is not 'ok' is to actually post a direct web link (click and you go there) in the post. Everyone mentions specific rods, lines, dealers, etc., this is what the Board (to a significant degree) is all about.

Probably 50 companies out there who build rods; a dozen line makers? Vast majority of us will never even see 10% of the spey rods made, let alone the lines. But now you're in a purchsing frame of mind. Are you really willing to drop $1,000 - $1,500 on a rod, reel and line(s) with out at least trying same first?

Using Southern Oregon as a good example of a bad example (leaving Bob Meiser's rods out of this) I doubt that south of Roseburg (North Umpqua), Oregon all the way to the Sacramento, CA (about 400 miles) you'd even find 5 fly shops with a single spey rod in stock. Kinda cuts down on your ability to test cast. :>)

Perfect world would be no, I'll try before I buy. But we're in anything like a perfect world. So you ask, you get diverse opinions, you sort them out ... and hope like heck you got it right when you write the cheque.
:whoa:

Willie Gunn
02-22-2004, 03:37 PM
You should find the rules here,
http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flytalk3/showthread.php?threadid=10950

Rule 2 is the one that you need to refer to.

Dble Haul
02-22-2004, 05:14 PM
There is absolutely nothing cryptic about the rules here. As Willie has shown in his post, the rules are about as straight forward as could possibly be. They are given as a sticky thread here in the Worldwide Forum for all to see.

I appreciate your concern, but fail to see the source of your confusion.