The other white meat [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: The other white meat

MarkDoogue
06-29-2001, 03:29 PM
Has anyone ever tied flies with ostrich feathers?

juro
06-29-2001, 03:43 PM
Ostrich is used a lot for the little puffy tutu's that separate the body from the butt on salmon and steelhead flies.

It is also a key part of some very unique pacific northwest flies tied by a person referred to as the "steelhead bum".

I use the curly barbs from the feather as tentacles in my squid pattern.

It's a very useful feather.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/destinations/capecod/squidflies.jpg

MarkDoogue
06-29-2001, 10:12 PM
The reason I ask is that my wife's uncle is an ostrich farmer. He keeps about 100 ostrich at a time. In fact, I'll be bringing some ostrich "slim jims" home with me this trip.

I didn't know if it would be worth approaching him about the feathers. When in slim jim or jerky form I doubt they'll be needing feathers.

juro
06-29-2001, 10:14 PM
ANDRE are you reading this ? ? ?

Mark, we need to talk.

tomd
06-29-2001, 10:38 PM
Look up the Taboury snake fly... a great fly that uses ostrich herl!!! Tom D
http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/sbssnake_fly.htm

saltRon
06-30-2001, 01:25 AM
Ostrich-- Can be used much the same as peacock hearls where you want the white head or gill as in chornimids or as been mentioned previously . Iam talking about fresh water trout here.
saltron

MarkDoogue
06-30-2001, 12:31 PM
I can't begin to tell you the degree of enjoyment that my father-inlaw, Winston, is getting out of this topic. The ostrich farmer in question is his brother Willard from Conicville, VA. In fact, curiously enough, Willard is a great friend of Harry Murray, the pharmacist turned full time fly tyer from Edinburg, VA. I wonder if Harry has approached him about ostrich feathers yet?

Anyway, Winston told me that he was headed down to the farm(it is the family farm where his entire family was born) on Tuesday of next week and would try to grab me some feathers. I will work on arranging a bulk feather exchange.

If you want to check out their farm the web site is:

www.conicvilleostrich.com

Willard is a dentist and a farmer. That'll keep you busy.

~Mark

DFix
07-02-2001, 02:06 PM
MARK - THIS ISN'T FAIR!

Where is the flashy four-colored on-line brochure, Customer Service section, on-line Order Form with style and color selections, a price list -

we vultures NEED this information ;)

jborkowski
07-02-2001, 06:15 PM
sign me up for some OSTRICH materials!!

mark, have your pops make me an OSTRICH sandwich while your at it.;-)

mayflyman
08-22-2001, 10:05 AM
Does he raise EMU's too?
I'd like to try an emu's plume...
How big are ostrich hackles? he he :)

Fred Evans
08-22-2001, 04:35 PM
Good Heavens! Can we all say "feeding frenzy?"

Actually had Ost. served at a restaurant once. Tough and, like every thing else in the world, it tasted 'like chicken.' Just kidding.

:>)