Queets Help too.... [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Queets Help too....

Moonlight
02-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Talked with ONP staff and they are recomending that the Superintendent of Olympic National Park follow suit with the WDFW wild release (restrictions) on the 1st of April. A few Emails in favor would be appropo.

On a closely related subject: I was informed that the Park Service volunteered to pay for the tagging program for the Queets and were turned down by the tribe!!!! Kind of a "Don't ask don't tell" situation.

sinktip
02-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Moonlight,

Great news!

Come on boys, let's know we care.

loco_alto
02-20-2004, 12:42 AM
ditto that.

Park superintendent positions are highly political. Even though the Park biologists may be 100% behind fish conservation for biological reasons, the supers are more inclined to be swayed by public opinion. Voice yours.

jjohnson
02-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Does anyone have the contact information for who we need to contact?

JJ

rich_simms
02-24-2004, 12:24 AM
Bill Laitner
Superintendent, O N P
600 E. Park Ave.
Port Angeles, WA. 98362

flytyer
02-24-2004, 01:33 AM
It would be very nice to see this happen. John Meyer (now retired) tried to get C&R on wild steelhead several time before he retired and the park superintendent always said no. Perhaps this time...... It is worth a try at any rate.

Moonlight
03-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Talked to Sam (Brinkman) the head fisheries Bio for the ONP and he said they were going with the Morotorium on April 1st and that the bait and hook rules would be crafted similarly to the exisiting rules.
I speculate that there maybe some wiggle room in the regs. for next year based on what the WDFW does at the upcoming meeting. I think that if the Commission folds the Park might follow suit unless we show a strong support. So lets make a point of following up with a goodly amount of support if (and when) the WDFW folds!!!!
I can't beleive I'm not around a campfire tonight, having family is great, but sometimes it gets in the way of my quest to be a steelhead bum.:rolleyes:

flytyer
03-12-2004, 01:17 AM
This is great news!!