New to Salt [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New to Salt

BearDenWoodshop
02-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Hey All, I am very new to the Salt thing. I am taking a trip thios year down to North Carolina and will be going to the Outer Banks. I hear that the fishing from the shore line/ Surf can be good. Do I need special Fly Line? Special Rigs? Please Help....I weould love to enjoy myself. Do I need specia equipment????

Thanks
Keith B.

Penguin
02-17-2004, 10:41 PM
A 9 wt 9" with an intermediate line and a stripping basket would be a good foundation...don't forget to hydrate and sun block!

tglynos
02-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Being new to the salt myself, I've received some good advice. Take good care of your reel,rod and any other gear that comes in contact with the water, the salt is very corrosive. Also try to protect those stokingfoot waders to prevent a sand invasion in your boots(can damage the wader). Some of the more experienced guys may give you some good advice on that, but I heard that gaters supported by ducktape wil do the trick. For the rest of you, I too am heading to the outer banks this summer and plan on using a guide: 1. any suggestions on one and 2. any suggestions on best places to fish from. thanks,

Triston