New Fly - Chatham Glass Flat [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: New Fly - Chatham Glass Flat

striblue
02-13-2004, 03:35 PM
I unintentionally beat Juro to the punch here and this was his original idea. I suspect , and I know he has some significant variations to this fly...but the Epoxy concept was his idea.... So we sahll see his fly which I am sure will be of significant use. I will work on improving it but this shows you the versatility of this new flounder fly. I know flounders can change colors to adapt to the sand surroundings so i thought of an all epoxy flat fly. The sequence of pictures should give you an idea... this is Lighter, easier to tie OR make. and does what I want. The difference here is clear. I decided to use Micro Fleck Turkey flats feathers for the fins since they have a realistic "spotty" look on them. On my tub test this sank right to the bottom. The dumbell is epoxied in and will help with kicking up some sand. The eyes are up a bit fron the body. I am calling it the Chatham Glass Flat.

BigDave
02-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Very creative. Great idea!

sean
02-13-2004, 04:13 PM
Great concept Striblue!

Plus it seems pretty easy to tie considering the finished result.

Will be interested to see how it works for you this summer. Maybe I can help user test it when i am out there:p

-sean

Doc Duprey
02-13-2004, 07:16 PM
John,

My resident flounder expert and bunk-mate asks "do You rest on the seventh day? Looks like the prototype that God created to me (her)." OK, this time I spring for dinner at the resturaunt of Elizabeth's choice, but I MUST see this done in person. This is truly a masterpiece!!!!!

Humbly,

-Doc

Dble Haul
02-13-2004, 07:52 PM
This is one of those times where I stop and wonder why someone else hadn't thought of this concept a long time ago.

John, your fertile mind never ceases to amaze. I look forward to hearing how it fishes this season.

jfbasser
02-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Great job, John......Stealth bomber fly? Check in with the Penquin maybe he can give it a test drive:D F117B

flyfisha1
02-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Geez. What an epiphany: a clear fly to blend in with the bottom. Now that is truly amazing, and a pattern I'll have to try. Mark summed it up very well.

Greg Pavlov
02-14-2004, 12:18 AM
That's a great idea, John. What size hook did you use ? And have you by any chance tried to cast it ?