Wild Steelhead Side Issue [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: Wild Steelhead Side Issue

Leland Miyawaki
02-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Here's an interesting sidelight I offer up.

Wednesday afternoon, I took a famous Japanese speyrod designer and manufacturer who is scheduled to appear at the Spey Days to purchase a couple two-day permits to fish for steelhead. We fished the Skagit yesterday and he is fishing it again today.

For arguments sake, let's say he was here to fish the "trophy wild winter CnR season" in the Skagit. Nobuo has fished for atlantics in Norway and Scotland as well as BC and here in Washington and Oregon for steelhead.

Two days ago, he paid only $13.14 for his license. He was totally surprised at how little a value we put on these magnificent fish! He was expecting to pay at least $50 to fish a trophy fishery such as this. He laughed because he pays more in highway tolls back home in Japan to get to his cherry salmon rivers.

I bring this up because many of us pay much more to fish as non-residents out of state. In a time of budget cuts to the WDFW by the state, maybe we ought to look at raising a little revenue (ocean and freshwater salmon and steelhead) by asking the tourists to help pay for enforcement as an example.

My opinion,
Leland.

sean
02-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Very good point.

I always look at the way BC regulates foreigners on their trophy waters and wonder why we do not have something like that here.

Do not know if we should go as far as classifying our waters but maybe that is the thing to do? I have heard grumblings of BC getting even more restrictive in the future with some of her rivers. We are pretty much giving it away here. I know this would not make some of our out of state friends very happy but think they would understand.

We should at least bump the out of state costs and I would even support raising in state costs some. I just wish there was a way to guarentee what the money would go to. For instance I would love to see more money put towards officers on the water.

I bet this cause is something the WDFW would get behind!

-sean

Steelheader69
02-13-2004, 05:41 PM
He's gonna be at speydays??? Gonna have to pick his brain. Have an ex girlfriend who lives over there. Last I knew, thought the Cherry Salmon was an ocean fishery only. Thought it was completely closed to river fishing for them. Hmmmmm, may have changed. Haven't spoken to her in a good 7 years or so. Her Dad a bit longer.

Will agree though. Our out of state licenses are very cheap. I've fished throughout Europe/UK and the US, and we have some of the cheapest non res licenses (hell, think Nebraska is more expensive then ours lol).

Leland Miyawaki
02-13-2004, 06:35 PM
We talked about it the other night. There are a very few cherry salmon rivers open in Japan to sportfishers. The commercials may as well own the rivers. Some Japanese flyfishers have waited for over ten years to catch a cherry salmon (we Japanese are very patient). From the day the season opens, at dawn, there are queues of 10-15 flyfishers waiting their turn to fish down the pools. Also, according to "the man" cherry salmon fall way short of the fight of steelhead and atlantic salmon.

Leland.

Steelheader69
02-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Wasn't sure. I know I've seen pictures of them in spawning colors. Pretty wild looking fish. Like a chum on crack. LOL. Never heard how they fought, probably because all the people I knew said rivers were closed. LOL.

Brian Simonseth
02-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Leland,
Thats what we should talk about on the 18th.:smokin:

Leland Miyawaki
02-13-2004, 08:58 PM
Brian,

Did I miss something on my calendar? What's up on the 18th?

I'm thinking of getting it on the agenda for the meeting on the 19th at the Steelhead and Cutthroat Advisory Council. Last year, Director Koenings presented the costs and I told him I thought they were too low. He basically blew me off, but then that's been the problem with the group.

Leland.

Brian Simonseth
02-13-2004, 09:26 PM
leland
There a meeting with the Dir. & Lew A. 6:00PM til 9:00PM E-Mail Bob L. he will tell you more:whoa:

Iwill e-mail you what I know.

NrthFrk16
02-13-2004, 10:29 PM
This is a topic that I have been thinking about alot lately as I was blown away when I wanted to purchase a short-term license in Idaho.

I could only buy a 3 day license and it was over $30 for a non-resident. I was not angered because of the price they were charging as $10/day really is not all that bad but I was angered because we only charge $4/day for a non-resident to fish steelhead in this state.

And although Idaho has some fantastic steelheading at times, their fisheries do not compare in numbers, variety and opputunity when you compare them to ours.

We are definately losing out on potential income!

North Island
02-16-2004, 12:52 PM
I certainly would understand paying extra as a visitor for a licence to fish. I would even be more pleased to know that my money went directly to fisheries enhancement in that area. Also I feel regional residents licence fees should be subsidised, to some degree, by visiting anglers. Isn't this an obvious step in long term management of our resource?

paul locke
02-16-2004, 03:25 PM
very interested in fees you pay, but despite rumours of queues and combat fishing do you feel you get value? in that context what sort of hours can you fish for your money. 24 hours?, daylight hours? whatever? i wont frighten you with our costs here!

Leland Miyawaki
02-16-2004, 03:42 PM
I have a feeling you may be imagining a much worse scenario than it really is.

Nobuo-san just spent two beautiful days on our most scenic river with three different forum members each day fishing for the fabled "Skagit brutes." No queues, no fights, no bad experiences with two native steelhead as well as numerous dollies landed.

Certainly worth more than $3.00 a day even with no fish.

Leland.

paul locke
02-16-2004, 03:49 PM
thanks leland, one does wonder what goes on reading some of the posts. i'm glad this was a good experience. what hours did you/could you have fished?

Leland Miyawaki
02-16-2004, 04:01 PM
On the day I fished with Nobuo-san, we met the others for breakfast at 7am and were on the water about 9am and fished until 4:30. It was light at 7 and dark by 5:30. I suppose one could fish at night if you wished as it is not against the law.

Leland.

Poul
02-17-2004, 01:19 AM
When I was down there 2 weeks ago the license was so cheap I thought it they had sold me the wrong license by mistake... cheap at three times the current price.

Poul

Leland Miyawaki
02-17-2004, 07:17 AM
Kinda cheapens the fish doesn't it? Maybe that's why we don't mind killing 'em.

Leland.