NESFR Meeting-Juro Presentation [Archive] - Fly Fishing Forum

: NESFR Meeting-Juro Presentation

striblue
02-10-2004, 10:22 PM
An enjoyable meeting this evening and met Fish Hawk and Sprocket there... Juro tied some sand eels ( which I was able to scoff).. and did a great lecture and slide presentation which was not the usual... A lot of practical information and a clever delivery...You could hear a pin drop in the room. The slide show was top notch and professionally done... Thanks Juro... a learning experience for me.

FishHawk
02-11-2004, 06:39 AM
A truly masterful job. Well done. Enjoyed watching Juro tie the Deep Eel. Liked the French mustache technique. Missed Sprocket. Great to see the Iron Man again. Again great job Juro.
FishHawk:smokin: :D

Sprocket
02-11-2004, 08:08 AM
Every once in a while we get a truely captivating speaker - I've seen the audience like that exactly twice. We even had ""Grumpy Guy" compliment him!

I came in really late but I caught the tail end of things, so to speak. Great show and I know I missed a lot of info.

Thanks to Juro for coming out and I hope we can host him again in the future. It really was great to see some "new faces" in ol' friends.

[shameless announcer voice]
Next month is our fund raiser - mostly bucket raffles but we'll have a few higher end prizes for silent auction. All are welcome
[SAV]

StriperTom
02-11-2004, 01:37 PM
Glad to hear things went well, I was dissappointed I couldn't attend due to some last minute business travel.. and to hear I missed grumpy guy as well..

Thanks to Juro!

Also, sounds like there were a few new faces there as well.. hope you guys liked what you saw with the club, please keep coming, the more the merrier!

As Todd mentioned we have our annual fundraiser next month, with a ton of great items for silent auctions and bucket raffles, not to mention Jack Gartside as the guest speaker..

While I'm on a roll, we also will be having two fly-tying get-togethers at NECC in Haverhill on Feb 14 and Feb 21 from 9-1. This is another great way to meet guys in the club and learn/share some new fly patterns. The fly tying events are member/guest, so please let me know if you want to attend and haven't yet signed up for membership.

-- Tom

craig
02-11-2004, 01:50 PM
John,

Can you snap a pic of one of the sand eels, it would be interesting to see.

striblue
02-11-2004, 02:12 PM
I will Craig...but I will have to Kill you after!:devil: ;)

craig
02-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Somehow I knew I would illicit such a reponse. :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

dcobbett
02-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Juro,

Enjoyed your presentation last night. My notes indicate you made reference to internet sources relative to the aerial photo of Monomy and color pictures(s) of sand eels, but I didn't write them down. Could you please repeat them? Thanks

juro
02-11-2004, 06:17 PM
The pleasure was all mine, thanks for the kind words and lack of tomatoes ;)

Here is that link... what an incredible resource we have!

http://coast.mit.edu/

Another one that makes me salivate is the pre-break aerial here:

http://www.chathamcapecod.org/images/break_1984.jpg

This pic was taken the year I moved to Seattle to work with a large aluminum bird maker. Nothing short of spectacular there either... but can you imagine working those breaks along the parrallel bar structures on an incoming tide, or dropping a kayak off the 4x4 to stake them out on a drop?

Look at west common flats... or better yet that delta off the inlet... I am not complaining about what we have, but a time machine sure would be fun!

I will try to dig up the links to the sand eel study photos.

striblue
02-12-2004, 12:14 AM
Here are both of Juro's Flies which I am sending to Bob Veverka.. the big one is the famous Rip eel and the other is the smaller flats eel.

craig
02-12-2004, 06:10 AM
Nice pic's John......Awesome flies Juro!